Chapter 32 (Wes's POV)

6:21am

Courtney and I stay as quiet as possible as we make our way through the snow away from the lodge.  Keith is still unconscious after smacking his head pretty hard on that tree, so I'm carrying him bridal-style.  It might even be funny if it weren't for our current situation.

         "What did you actually see in that totem?" Courtney asks suddenly.  It takes a moment for me to understand what she's referring to.  I guess my lie wasn't very convincing.

         "If we're being chased, we're supposed to split up." is all I say.  It's not a lie, it's just not the whole truth.  When we reach a fork in the paths, I'm supposed to leave her.  Not to mention that's not the only totem I found.  My curiosity was too much, and I couldn't not look in the bedroom.  David had been gone, which had freaked me out, but I'd found another totem under the bed.  A death totem, and by the looks of it, I get the choice to save myself or save Courtney.  Which I'm not looking forward to, for obvious reasons.

         I'm pulled from my thoughts when the lump in my arms shifts, and Keith opens his eyes, groaning.  "What's going on?" he asks groggily.

         "We're getting the hell away from that lodge is what's happening." Courtney says, expressionless.

         "Put me down, this is weird." Keith grumbles, pushing himself up out of my arms.  He staggers for a second, but regains his balance quickly.

         "You okay?" I ask.

         "Yeah, just a headache." Keith replies, shaking it off.  "Where are we going?"

         "To the open clearing." Courtney tells him.  "Near the cable car station.  That way when helicopters come, they'll be able to see us."

         It seems like the best idea.  If Olivia was right, people should be coming at dawn to find us.  Hopefully.  We have no clue what time it is right now, but the sky's been gradually getting lighter so it must be close.  At least three of us will be safe.  That is, if my vision doesn't come true.

         "Is that it?" Keith asks from behind us.  I spot the open space through the trees, which he's motioned towards, and nod.

         "Maybe we should stay out of sight for now, though." Courtney suggests.  "So the Wendigos that are left can't find us."

         "Yeah, that sounds safer." I agree and Keith nods in assent.

         "But it wouldn't be worth it if they'd already found you." the familiar, dark-sounding voice comes from the trees across the clearing.  In the dim light, I can see Washington's faint silhouette.

         "How did he know we'd come here?" Courtney breathes.

         "Because you are all way too predictable." Washington's voice continues.  "And you weren't exactly quiet when you first talked about it.  I know these woods far better than any of you.  If I didn't want you dead before this, I do now.  You killed my sister."

         I try the last thing we have left to do.  "Your sister died years ago.  That...monster wasn't Hannah.  We had no clue this was your mountain.  Let us leave and we won't come back.  Ever.  We won't tell anyone, either."  Okay, maybe that last one was a lie, but I'm desperate at this point.

         The silhouette on the other side doesn't move, and I don't know if that's good or bad.  Courtney and Keith also look unsure.  Until the voice returns.  "No."

         In that instant, there's the telltale Wendigo scream behind us.  I don't even think before I sprint forwards, Courtney and Keith hot on my heels.  I grab the pistol from my waistband and fire backwards without thinking.