Chapter 13 (Courtney's POV)

11:39pm

I don't know how long we've been running from that thing. The Wendigo, he called it. The name rings a bell, but right now, in this situation, I can't place it. Ian and I dodge from room to room, staying ahead of it but never enough to take a break.

My eyes catch on a light flickering in another room. I dodge towards it, hoping the light's from a window. Instead, it's a lit fireplace, and the room has no other way out. We're screwed.

The creature comes in and screeches. It stalks towards us, and I grab the closest thing to me that could be used as a weapon, which happens to be a poker from the fireplace. It burns my hand slightly, the metal hot even though I grabbed the end that wasn't lying in the fire. I swing the hot metal in the direction of the beast, and it surprisingly shies away. That's when I remember what it's afraid of.

In one swift motion, I press the burning metal against the side of the Wendigo's neck, and even when it tries to move away, I follow it. After a short moment, the skin melts away and the poker passes clean through, severing its head from its body. The Wendigo collapses. I drop the poker, my hand on fire.

"That was..." Ian starts, but doesn't finish his sentence. I can think of a million words that could finish it, none of them good. He wraps a piece of his shirt around his hand and picks the burning poker back up, just in case. We cautiously leave the room, but I don't see any threats. There don't seem to be any more Wendigos and the psycho appears to be gone. We make our way through the halls quickly, though I have no idea where we're going.

"I recognize this." I say as we enter another room. It's the large hall where we started. Ian and I split up to try opening the doors, to find another way out. All of them are locked, including the one I came out of.

"Hey! I got one!" Ian calls. I walk over, feeling the full potency of my injuries now that the adrenaline has worn off. Ian has entered the room. Then he backs out slowly, his face ice-white. "Never mind." he says. "It's just a dead end."

Something's wrong with him. "What's in there?" I ask.

"Nothing." he replies, his eyes glancing nervously around.

"Let me see." I say. He tries to stop me but I shove past him into the room. And I immediately wish I hadn't.

It's a body, if you could even call it that. It's been torn apart, unrecognizable. At least it would be if it weren't for the shirt. Even torn to shreds, I recognize the DOTA 2 shirt easily. It's Matt. I turn out of the room and throw up at the wall.

"I killed him." Ian says shakily.

"What are you talking about?" I ask, shuddering.

Ian tells me everything that happened to him. "I'm reason you were stabbed and held underwater. I'm the reason he's dead."

I don't know how to reply. But right now, we need to leave. "Come on." I say, grabbing his arm. I start to pull him across the room, but my dragging feet hit something hidden under the rug laid across the middle of the floor. I lift up the rug, and see a trapdoor underneath. Hopefully, it's our way out. Ian reaches down and pulls open, and surprisingly, it's not locked.

We drop down to a stone floor not far below. We're in a roughly carved stone tunnel, which has a downward slope. "I guess the only way is forward." I say, and we start walking. Our footsteps echo in the empty tunnel, seeming much louder than usual. I guess it's because I keep waiting for another Wendigo, or maybe the psycho, to jump out at us.