Chapter 21 (Mari's POV)

2:07am

We all listen as Sam finishes repeating her story yet again, this time for Olivia and Wes, who both seem very shaken up.  Olivia keeps staring strangely at Sam, even though we explained who she was.  I guess I can't blame her if she might not trust Sam, though, after everything we've gone through tonight.

         "So what are we going to do now?" I ask when she's done.  "We can't very well stay here."

         "I have an idea." Courtney chips in.  She's looking much better now that her wound has stopped bleeding.  "I haven't actually checked, but what if there's another way to get into the cable car station?  The car has to leave through the other side, so there must be an opening."

         "But isn't that side hanging off a cliff?" Ian asks dryly.  "Can you walk on air?"

         Courtney rolls her eyes.  "But what if we can climb over the top?  Then maybe we can drop in the other side."

         "I don't think that's a good idea." Olivia says timidly.  She opens her mouth to speak again, but Amra cuts her off.

         "I think it could work." he says.  "But whoever does it should be fairly nimble."

         I don't mean to, but my eyes swing towards Olivia.  She's the most agile of us left, and when I look around the room, I realize I'm clearly not the only one thinking this.  Olivia seems to understand too, and takes a deep breath.

         "Fine.  I'll do it." she says begrudgingly.

         "Someone else should go, too." Sam cuts in.

         "I will." I volunteer, since I feel bad that we pressured Olivia into this.

         "We'll come too." David adds, and beside him, Amra nods in agreement.

         "And I guess the rest of us will stay in the house." Wes mutters. Then he adds, louder, "I really don't think we should split up.  Or Sam should at least go with them."

         "Washington doesn't expect us to split up." Sam counters.  "We can only survive this night if we outwit him.  He's not exactly the brightest, and this will throw him off.  At least I hope it will.  Anyways, it's our best option."

         "If we get into the station, we'll come back and get you." I add.  "But we might need you here to let us back into the house if something goes wrong."

         With that, the four of us head back downstairs and out the door.  Amra pulls his pistol out from the waistband of his pants and holds it up protectively.  "Sam gave it to me." he explains.  "It might not do much good against a Wendigo, but if we come across Washington, at least we can be rid of him."

         I notice Olivia's eyes rest worriedly on the gun, but she doesn't make a move towards it.  Instead, she yanks her eyes away and keeps walking.

         The whole walk to the cable car station is silent.  We're all wary of what might be in the woods around us.  There's one point when I see something flash in the trees.  I whip my head towards it just as Amra pulls the trigger on the gun.  I cringe and cover my ears at the loud bang, but then the woods fall silent again.  It must've just been a squirrel or something.  I relax, but not everyone does.

         "You idiot!" David exclaims.  "Now Washington will know where we are."

         "I'm sorry for trying to protect you." Amra replies, clearly offended.