Chapter 17 (Olivia's POV)

12:58am

"Hopefully we'll run into them soon." I say, trudging through the snow.  I just hope we manage to find Mari, Shayne, Ian, and Amra before the Wendigos do.

         "Oh shit." I hear a gasp from Wes, who's just rounded a corner up ahead.

         "What is it?" Keith asks as we run up to him.  The scene around the corner makes me stop short.

         The first thing I notice are the scorched and broken trees.  Then I see the huge patch of red snow.  We carefully approach the area.  The snow is all messed up, some of it melted and slowly refreezing.  There are drag marks leading away from the large bloodstain in the snow.  We're too late.

         "Oh my god..." I mutter.  But then I notice the sets of footprints leading into the trees.  "Hey look!" I point them out.  "Some of them are okay.  We have to find them."

         "They might have just run." Wes points out miserably.  "It doesn't mean they're okay."

         "But aren't Wendigos defeated by fire?" Keith asks.  "And what else could have damaged the trees and melted the snow?  They might be alive."

         "Or it could be a trap set up by Washington." Wes points out.  I release a huge sigh.  He's could be right.

         "Do you think they made it to the watchtower?" I ask.

         "They must have.  There are footprints leading past this point and returning, too." Keith says, pointing.  "And look!" he picks something up from the snow.  It's the First Aid kit.

         "They must have dropped it." I breathe.  "We need to get it back to David and Courtney."

         "Y'know, we're not too far from the watchtower." Keith says.  "We could go and radio for help."

         "Are you crazy?" Wes exclaims.  "We need to help Courtney first."

         "But two of us could go to the tower, and one go back to the lodge.  We need to get off this mountain first and foremost.  Otherwise none of us night make it through the night." Keith points out.

         "He has a point." I admit.  "We'd be losing a lot of time if we went back to the lodge and then returned.  Plus, Washington probably doesn't know we're out here yet."

         "But, splitting up?" Wes protests.  We're all silent for a minute, but then he gives in.  "Fine.  Olivia and I will go to the watchtower, and Keith can head back to the lodge."

         "Okay." Keith says, turning away.

         "Be careful." I call after him.  Then I turn back towards the path and Wes and I continue.  It's not long before I spy a totem lying in the snow.  I don't want to miss any of them now, so I head over and pick it up.  It has a white butterfly on the back, meaning fortune.

         The vision is disorienting, from a dizzying height.  I see myself, clinging to a wire with one hand, holding someone with the other.  I barely catch a glimpse of who it is, though, before I let them go and they plummet to the ground. And then I'm back in the snowy forest.

         "I think I was holding the cable car wire." I say.  "And I was holding someone to prevent them from falling."  I leave out the important detail of who it was. "But I dropped them."

         "I don't know how that could be fortune." Wes says.  "But look."  He holds up another totem.  "I thought I saw a glow of orange in the woods, and I was right."  He's holding a totem with an orange butterfly on the back.

         "What did you see?" I ask.

         "We were outside the cable car station." he explains.  "And then you and David went towards it for something."

         "So basically David and I shouldn't go to the cable car station together." I conclude, and Wes nods in agreement.  He drops the totem and we continue towards the watchtower.  It only takes a couple more minutes to reach it.

         "Finally." Wes mumbles as we begin to climb the stairs.  When we reach the top, I pull out my phone.  Still no reception.  Shit.  I head straight for the radio.  I press the power button...and nothing happens.

         "Dammit." I say.  "We need electricity."

         "Then let's just go." Wes says.  "I don't want to turn on the power here.  Not after what happened to Josh."

         "Come on, Wes." I protest.  "We need to get off this mountain.  If the tower catches on fire, we can escape.  We're far enough from any cliffs."

         Wes sighs in resignation, and I head over to the fuse box.  I flip the switch and pause, waiting for something to happen, but nothing does.  I breathe out in relief and return to the radio, where Wes is already fiddling with the dials.  I hear a bunch of crackling static, but nothing to hint that anyone is listening.  I sigh and begin to pace, and my foot knocks against something.  Another totem.  I point it out to Wes before flipping it over.  This one has a brown butterfly.

         There's a blonde girl, one I've never seen before in my life, but she's in the basement of the lodge, I think.  She's holding a shotgun, hiding behind a shelf or something.  Another person suddenly whips around the side with a pistol and fires it into her chest.  The vision ends, leaving me reeling with questions.  Who were the people, especially the girl?  I've never seen her before.

         I repeat my vision to Wes, but he's very preoccupied by the radio.  I finally head over to him and nudge him out of the way.

         "Let me try." I say, taking the dial in my hand.  I slowly turn it, a millimeter at a time.  Finally, I hear a voice, and I'm happy enough to cry.  Thank god.

         "Who is it?" I hear a crackly voice say on the other end.

         "We're up on the mountain." I say slowly.  "There is a psychopath up here trying to kill my friends and I.  We need to get away."

         "-sorry, -- can't - hear --." the other person says, though the message is broken up and incomplete.  "Repeat.  What -- your name?"

         "I'm Olivia." I say, and then I repeat what I had already said.  "We need someone to come rescue us."

         "Will -- be okay until morni-?" the person's fragmented voice is back.

         "Are you crazy?!" I exclaim.  "Can you even hear me?"

         "Okay – be there – dawn." the person finishes, and the radio goes dead.  They must not have heard me correctly.

         "That must be why the radio went dead." Wes says dully, pointing out the window.  I hadn't noticed it when I was intently focused on the radio, but a storm has begun to brew.

         "Then we'd better hurry." I say and we hurry back down the stairs and towards the lodge.  We don't get far before the snow thickens, and soon I can barely see ten feet in front of me, not to mention I'm freezing.

         "We need to get somewhere sheltered." Wes shouts over the howling wind.  I look around, and spot a rocky outcrop a short ways to the left.

         "There!" I exclaim and point.  We head towards it and find it's actually the entrance to a cave.  I hurry in without hesitation.  "Thank god."

         "There's no way we'll find our way back to the lodge in this weather." Wes mutters angrily.  We head deeper into the cave together, getting away from the opening.  "Hey look." he says.  "It's a tunnel."

         "It seems to head in the direction of the lodge." I notice.  "Should we go for it?"

         "It's better than the storm." Wes admits, and we set off through the tunnels.

A/N: So I've been having some technical difficulties with my account lately, so I might have to put off some uploads in the future.  I'm really sorry if that happens, but I'm working on figuring out the issue.

Thanks :)

-Smoshgamesgirl_27