"So when you're up here, you're under no obligation to answer any question," Patricia instructed, making eye contact with me. "If you're ever uncomfortable or unsure, you can always plead the fifth."

"Doesn't that make you sound guilty?"

"It's your right as an American citizen and it cannot sway the judge's opinion one way or another."

I nodded, taking another swig of my water to help calm my nerves.

"You are under no obligation to keep eye contact with the lawyer questioning you," Patricia reminded me. "If you're feeling overwhelmed, look over to our table. Parker will always be sitting there, unless he get himself kicked out of the courtroom again."

"Again?" I questioned, raising my eyebrows at him.

"The medical lawsuit," Parker muttered. "I got a little testy."

"A little testy is an understatement," Patricia snapped at him. "And if you know what's good for you, you will keep your mouth shut."

"I got it."

"You better." Patricia turned back to face me again. "Don't answer a question you don't understand. Ask for clarification first. Don't let the opposing lawyer intimidate you or bully you into saying something. Stand your ground."

I nodded.

"Okay, we're going to try this. Take a minute to ready yourself. My questions are going to be similar to those that I've already asked you."

Breathe in. Breathe out.

I'm in control of my anxiety.

I glanced over at Parker, who was reviewing the questions with Patricia, a concentrated expression on his face.

I can do this. Breathe in. Breathe out.

Patricia came back over to me. "Can you state your name for the record please?"

"Lee Adams."

The questions were a mix of old and new, and I felt my anxiety heightening as a slew of new questions came through.

I could handle the old questions. They were comfortable; they were something familiar. But the new questions were pushed me to uncomfortable places, made me question things I wasn't ready to.

I glanced over at Parker, my heart feeling as though it was going to pound out of my constricted chest.

Parker was shaking his head after the past question, his jaw shifting.

His uneasiness made me feel uneasy, and I had to look away from him, focusing on Patricia again, which was the last thing I wanted to do.

I felt as though I'd been sitting up here for hours. I reached up and tugged on my shirt collar, painfully aware of the tightness in my chest.

I took a long sip of my water, Patricia's mouth moving but I couldn't focus on the words anymore.

All I could focus on was breathing. Breathe in. Breathe out.

Simple enough actions, but it seemed like the most complicated action in the moment.

"Lee?" Patricia questioned.

I could see Parker's eyes burning a hole in my skull, a worried expression on his face.

"I'm fine," I stated, my voice sounding a little strangled even to me. "Sorry, continue."

If I can just get through this.

Parker ran his hand over his face, slowly shaking his head.

Patricia nodded, continuing on with her series of questions.