Chapter 61

Chapter 61

Addie's POV

Gem and I rode through a neighborhood behind our church, Gem knowing exactly how to get to Phil's house considering she'd been there many times. I smiled at the way she gripped the steering wheel, chewing harshly on her bottom lip, restless in all her movements.

She began drumming her fingers against the gear shift, nervous tension taking over her usually calm nature. She kept glancing over at me and sighing afterwards, twirling a tendril of hair around her finger over and over again.

"Gem, what's going on?"

"I just...I'm so nervous about Phil coming. I sometimes wonder what we are. I know he likes me but we've never been somewhere like a party or anything. I've only ever been with him to get coffee after our classes. I just...What if he doesn't like me or what if..."

"Gem, he would be an idiot to not like you. Gosh, you're perfect. He'd have one hell of a problem, mentally...if he didn't like you."

Her hand grabbed mine, squeezing it gently as she thanked me for the reassuring words I was trying to cheer her up with. Soon, we were pulling into his drive and he was walking out of his house, smiling as he rounded the front of my car. Despite Gem's rebuttal, I climbed out of the car to get into the backseat.

"Um...Hey, you're Addison Lewis, right? We go to church together. Our moms are in charge of the food drive and missions group."

"Of course. Your older brother used to pull on my ponytail during church service." I chuckled, extending my arm so he could shake my hand in our official introduction.

I sidestepped him once he'd dropped my hand, reaching for the back door.

"Hey, what are you doing?"

"Um...well I thought you might want to sit beside Gem so..."

"No! I mean, yes of course I like sitting next to her but; don't move on my account! Seriously! Please, I insist."

"Are you sure?" I stared into his rather green and alluring eyes.

Phil was beautiful, tall and lanky with short dark hair and beautiful, light green eyes. His stature was slender but muscular, strong at first glance. His clothes were nice and he smelled of a sweet but musky cologne. From one look, I could tell that this young guy was Gemma's type in every way humanly possible.

"Of course. Seriously, I'm sitting in the back."

I nodded and climbed back into the passenger seat, being met with Gem's curious gaze, an eyebrow cocked in an attempt to silently ask me a question.

"He's so great for you." I squealed just before Phil opened the door and slid into the middle seat, sticking his head between my seat and Gem's.

"Hello, lovely."

"Hi!" Gem blushed and he kissed the back of her hand, not even mentioning how she nearly came unglued beside him.

I shook my head, a knowing smile stretching across my lips. I missed Harry and seeing the two of them only reinforced it. Expectantly, he hadn't been happy about me attending Jake's party and after speaking momentarily with Jake, he didn't even bother to say goodbye. I knew that he would get over it and more than likely apologize but I wished that he was with me in that moment.

Maybe Jake will hang out with us at this party. Maybe Marshall will be there, wanting to celebrate the win after the big dinner I knew he'd have with his family.