Chapter 36

Chapter 36

Harry's POV

"Dammit." I cursed myself for still not having gone to comfort Addie, for not pushing through the crowded party and out the front door to find her.

It's like I was scared so much, that something was holding me back, willing me to take another five minutes to think. I didn't want to see how bad she was hurt, if she was.

Of course she is, you idiot.

What I wanted was to keep my place on this deck, wallowing in self-pity or whatever the hell I was doing out here. I wanted to be out front with Addie, but I stayed here, watching partygoers descend from the house, some crowding around by the river that was just barely visible to my eyes. Since we had arrived at this 'vacation destination,' things just seemed to be different with Addie and me. Yes, I'm in love with her and I'm not having doubts or second thoughts, but part of me wonders what's going on with us.

Things were awkward when we talked about how far she wanted to go in our sex life. Then, we go out to dinner and Jeremy was there, a guy who looks at Addie in a way that makes me crazy. We find out that Mr. Roper is in this town, talking to Darren and Annie. Then to top it all off, we come here and this shit happens. It's hard for me to say that I'm enjoying this vacation. We came with hopes to escape everything but every single thing we wanted to escape is here. This was a bad idea. I should have said no to this party. I knew it would be a bad idea.

I love Addie. She's my princess, the girl I never really want to be away from, but I don't want to expose her to all of this when I know she's fragile. She'd hate it if I said those words to her, but it's true. Neither one of us should be here right now.

As a couple of drunk girls came up to me, I avoided them by making my way to the steps leading down to the river, sitting down on the damp wooden slats. The moisture soaked through my jeans but I didn't give a shit as I began picking at the splintered wood from one of the supports for the railing. The lights from the house pretty much illuminated the back yard and around the side of the cabin. This place was pretty relaxing. If there was no party going on, I felt like I could actually enjoy being here. I felt like that about the cabin Addie and I were staying at, but it seemed as if Daniel and everyone else kept pulling us away when I just wanted to stay there with Addie, safeguarding her from the kind of things that had happened tonight.

I jumped as something rammed hard into my back, digging into my spine and making me jolt in shock, turning around to find Jake giggling. He attempted to knee me again but I shoved him back a bit. He almost fell back onto the deck, but clamped onto the fabric of my shirt, steadying himself.

"What is it, Jake? What do you want?"

"You've gotta see this shit. Your girlfriend is slaying the hell out of Marshum...I mean Marshall." He slurred, rubbing a hand over the stubble on his chin.

"Marshall? He's here?"

I looked around frantically, waiting impatiently for a drunken Jake to answer my question.

"Yeah, he just kissed Addie."

"What?" I yelled, following Jake as he stumbled down the steps and around the side of the cabin.

There were several crowds all stopped and staring at something as everyone sipped out of their solo cups. I pushed through a few people and ignored Jake's chuckles as he did the same. A few people were laughing and I really could have also if I wasn't mad. Something had obviously happened between Marshall and Addie. Marshall kissed her? Marshall groaned, holding the side of his face and I just knew Addie had slapped him. That's my girl.