Chapter 59

Chapter 59

Addie's POV

Intense was an understated label of the game that had played out before us that night. The screech of shoes against the shiny court filled the gym along with the fans who were screaming out, decked out in their school's colors. I was tuned in, comprehending every point gained and lost by our team but my attention drifted to the man sitting in front of me several times. Mr. Roper was seated a couple feet away, forgetting his usual spot just off the court.

A few times, I noticed his azure eyes meet mine, a lump forming in my throat. Most of the time however, his eyes were on Darren who was seated on the other end of the bleachers. Darren watched the game with Annie Riley, his eyes never once meeting mine and noticing that, I was no longer upset or anxious. With Gem beside me and Mr. Roper in front of me, I felt calm and nearly at ease.

"This is crazy." Gem yelled in my ear as she typed out a message to Phil, her eyes going back and forth between her phone, the court, and me.

I nodded in agreement, my knee bumping Roper's back and causing him to turn around. I quickly muttered an apology and he faced the court again to pay attention to the game undergoing.

Just as he turned around, Marshall stole the ball, running down the court and making a shot that swooshed through the hoop. I screamed, jumping up and down, blowing him a kiss as his eyes met mine. He smiled, shaking his head, appearing happier than I'd ever seen him.

When we were up by nine points, I took the chance to turn to Gemma, telling her that I needed to use the restroom, my bladder full with the several bottles of water I'd downed since we'd stepped foot into the gym.

"I'll go with you." She offered but I declined, assuring her that I would be fine.

Smiling, I slipped out the doors, my ticket stored in my pocket so I could return into the gym. Several people were outside in the halls, waiting for the bathrooms and moving up slowly in the concessions lines. I leaned against the wall, pulling out my phone to busy myself as I waited.

There were no texts from Harry but I tapped on his contact, wanting to hear his voice. It was crazy how much I missed him already and I'd been praying over and over again that the owner of the restaurant would love him just as much as everyone else. Harry was charming and kind, more considerate than any other guy I'd met in my entire life. I missed him more than I thought I would. I was filled with anxiety as the line rang, the wait seeming endless. I was afraid that he wouldn't answer but that thought was dismissed as soon as I heard his voice.

"Add."

"Hey, oh my god, hi. I miss you already, Harry."

"I was just thinking the same. I miss you too. How are things going? Is Gem with you? Are we winning?"

I chuckled, nodding even though I knew he couldn't see me.

"Gem is with me and we are winning. Everything is going well. Jake's played an amazing game and Marshall just got us up by nine points. I'm in line for the bathroom and I just thought that I would call you and see where you are. Also, I really missed you and I really wish you were here. That said, I also know that you're going to do great tonight. I love you and I'm one-hundred percent that you are going to do so amazingly perfect tonight."

"You're so amazingly perfect. Addie, God, do I love you." He breathed and my chest tightened, tears threatening to form in my eyes.

"I really miss you."

"Baby, are you crying?"

"No." I smiled, and wiped a tear away, looking around the hallway to make sure no one was watching me become emotional.