Chapter 55

Chapter 55

Addie's POV

"I don't know, Marshall. He just was acting really strange. Sometimes, most of the time, he's so sweet but he's really got this thing about me not being with other guys alone. I don't think it's anything personal because he even gets that way around Jake."

"Jake Dylan? But he's his best friend."

"I know." I nodded, watching Marshall as his eyes scanned the menu, barely ever meeting my own.

We were in a family style restaurant, a place in our town that was always extremely packed. Guys in letter jackets flooded through the door and I attempted to hide my face with my menu. It was Friday night and more and more people from school were coming into the restaurant, being greeted by the owner, Kostas. He was a Greek guy, rude and flamboyant. Despite this, everyone seemed to like him and his restaurant was always covered up.

"Speaking of Jake..."

I furrowed my brows wondering what Marshall was talking about but when I looked over to the door, there he stood, Jake Dylan. He had caught my eye and was walking our way. I fidgeted in my seat, watching him slowly make his way over to where I was. I knew I shouldn't still be nervous around him but I didn't know Jake extremely well and he still at times got me all anxious and bothered.

"Jake...hey."

He smiled, his eyes shifting between Marshall and I. He and Marshall exchanged and look but soon, Jakes attention was on me, his eyes gazing into mine. He knelt down beside of me, completely disregarding Marshall and instead, watching me closely.

"I need to talk to you outside, right now." He whispered and my cheeks heated, my entire face feeling warm.

I looked around the restaurant, following Jake's eyes to a little corner booth where I saw someone who made my skin crawl. Darren was watching me, his eyes cold and his gaze icy. His lip curved up into a lopsided grin, tilting his head forward a bit just as the girl he was seated with turned around to look at me. It was Annie Riley, the girl who was so mysterious and different, never hesitating to send me dirty looks or to just tell me off completely.

Jake was still staring at me, his body so close as he was still knelt right beside me. He grabbed my arm, gaining my full attention but I was hesitant to meet him gaze as his crystal clear, baby blues stared into my brown irises.

"Come with me right now, Addie, right now."

Jake's tone was low and his grip was firm around my arm, the pads of his fingers digging into my flesh. I took a moment to look into his eyes and all I could see was terror and worry, their coloration extremely off. He was worried about me and it didn't go unnoticed. Jake's dark brows furrowed and his eyes were pleading. With one look at Marshall, I stood up, taking a couple steps back from the table.

"Marshall, I'm just going to go outside for a bit to talk to Jake." I nodded but his mouth was hanging open, shocked by the entire exchange.

The air was chilly outside but I followed Jake around the side of the building. The wind was blowing my hair back, making it tickle my neck and face as I tried to gather it into a messy ponytail. Jake pulled on my arm, relentless with his grip but I continued to follow him, for some reason trusting not only myself, but Jake too. When he led me to an empty part of the parking lot, my heart began to pick up and I had a good mind to turn and run. We stood there, only about a foot apart and staring into each other's eyes. Water from the afternoon showers pooling atop the pavement and I slowly cast my eyes down, glancing at my reflection in the puddle by my feet. I was nervous and Jake was only adding to my anxiety. I began hoping he would just talk, tell me whatever was so important that he had to pull me from my booth.