Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Harry’s POV

I cursed myself for being so stupid as warm tears ran involuntarily down my cheeks. I had been stupid to believe that I could save her. How could I when she was pushing me away? Everything about the situation sucked. Every day, I wish that Addie hadn’t been assaulted. She deserves the world; the world doesn’t deserve Addie. I want to hold her and kiss her. I want to tell her that everything will be okay and that we can get through this, that we can get through anything.

But I don’t believe those words. I don’t see how we can ever get through this if she doesn’t trust me, if she doesn’t trust that I would never hurt her. I know that she’s scared. Hell, I am scared but I want to make it work. I want to know that beautiful girl. I want to hold that broken girl until she has no more scars, feels no more hurt.

But I also know that won’t happen. She will always have the scars. She will always have the memories and I’m so delusional if I think I can change that. I want to but I know that I can’t. So, I’ll lay here and cry because that’s what I want to do. That’s what I need to do.

“Harry, is that you home? Why aren’t you at…”

My mum trailed off as she opened the door and found me in tears. I angrily wiped them away.

“Harry, what happened? What’s wrong?” she asked, immediately hovering over me like a mother hen.

“Nothing.”

“Harry, what happened? You tell me right now.”

More tears fell and I felt worried that they wouldn’t stop.

“It’s Addie. S-She broke up with me. She pushes me away every time I try to get close and I’m crying for her. I want her to be better. I just want better for her than what she got.”

“Harry, what are you talking about baby?”

My eyebrows furrowed, knowing that I hadn’t told my mum about Addie. I was pretty sure that Heidi wouldn’t have said anything to her either.

“Um…mum, it’s complicated.”

She gave me a look and I took a ragged breath in.

“Mum, Addie was raped.”

Her eyes widened and her lips parted.

“She doesn’t really trust people. I wanted to be the one to save her. I wanted to help her but she won’t let me and now I’ve fallen for her and I have no idea what to do. She won’t even talk to me. I’ve texted her and called her about fifty times but she won’t answer. This just hurts like hell.” I told my mum, admitting all of my feelings for once in my life.

“Oh Harry, I had no idea.” She whispered, tears welling in her eyes.

“What do I do?” I asked her helplessly, hoping and praying she would say what I wanted her to.

“You don’t give up. I raised you not to give up and you know that. I don’t need to tell you that.”

“I’m going to get her.” I said, glancing at the clock to see that she would be out of school in ten minutes.

“That’s my boy. I know how you feel about her and I can tell that she feels the same. Don’t let her go because if you do, you’ll always wonder what would’ve happened if you’d tried harder.

I nodded, standing up, wiping my eyes, and stuffing my phone into my front pocket. I couldn’t let her go. I knew that now. My heart was too empty without her.

Addie’s POV

What the hell did I do?

I know that I can’t be with him even though I want to. I can’t put him through it. He should be with someone normal. He should be with someone who won’t bring him down with all of their baggage. That girl is not me. I’m just not right for him. We’re incompatible.

As I walked to my car, I knew that I couldn’t be with him no matter how badly I wanted to. I could think of a million reasons why he shouldn’t be with me. I was in my own world, thinking until a hand clamped around my forearm. I gasped but felt somewhat relieved when I looked up from the ground to find that it was just Harry. His eyes were red and puffy and it killed me to know that he’d been crying, that I made him cry. I pulled my arm away. Don’t touch me.

“Addie.”

“Please Harry, don’t. Please just go home.”

“What did I tell you dammit? I’m not giving up.”

“I want you to.” I lied, looking him in the eyes.

It was painful for me to lie to him, look him right in the eyes and lie. I didn’t want to do this. I didn’t want to hurt him.

“I don’t believe you! I know you want this as much as me. Look me in the eyes and tell me you don’t want me. I know you want this.”

I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t tell him that. I tried to keep it together but broke down in tears. He tried to wrap his arms around me but I stepped back. I would cave if he touched me and I wanted to be strong. I needed him to see that I wasn’t the right fit for him.

“Harry, please go. I don’t want to hurt you. You are making this so much harder.”

“You don’t want to hurt me?” he yelled in my face, attracting people’s attention in the parking lot.

“Harry…”

“No! Look at me! Can’t you see that’s what you’re doing? You’re hurting me. Right now! I’ve never been so hurt! This is killing me. Why did you even lead me on like you did if you were just going to push me away?”

I put my hands over my ears as he continued yelling at me. I couldn’t stand it.

“Goodbye Harry. I’m sorry.” I whispered, wiping a tear away as I climbed into my car.

I tried not to look as I drove away but it was almost impossible to not take a peak in the rearview mirror, seeing him stand sad and alone in the middle of the lot. No. No. No. This is worse than what happened to me and that scares me. It scares me that leaving Harry hurts worse.