Chapter 13 - The Douche is Back

Chapter 13 – The Douche is Back

Gabby was silent on the whole trip home. She was confused. Why did her stomach give out butterflies when she hugged Peter? Just the thought of it made a new round of the fluttering feeling erupt.

As Damien parked outside her house, she barely managed to wave her goodbyes to Damien. She was too preoccupied by sorting through her thoughts. With swift movements, she rushed through the house going straight to bed.

She thought over the day, and a giggle escaped her when she remembered how Peter had moved. He’d rocked out to the music—more so than Damien and she.

He was just so darned adorable.

No, Gabrielle! Stop those thoughts. Right this instant, she thought.

A soft knock made her snap out of her mindset, and she stared at the door.  It opened slowly, revealing Danni in the doorway.

“Hi,” she said.

Gabby jerked up. “Is everything all right?”

She could see Danni’s bottom lip start to quiver as she shook her head. “I’m sad.”

Opening her arms, she waited until Danni came over to the bed, then wrapped her arms around her. “What’s up?”

Danni hesitated for a moment before she said anything. At last she simply rubbed her forehead. “I’m so confused.”

“What are you confused about?” Gabby asked. She let go of her sister, forcing Danni to look up at her.

Danni averted her eyes and looked to her hands. “I found this in my locker today.” She opened her hands to reveal a tiny note. “It’s from Devon.”

Gabby took the note and read it.

'Danni, you have no idea how much I miss you. I tried to get to talk with you, but your sister is keeping me from you. I've tried getting to talk with you for some days now. Please call me so I can explain myself.

- Devon'

Gabby snorted. Was he really blaming her for his own stupidity?

“Is it true?” Danni asked. “Have you kept him from talking to me?”

“Errh.” She didn’t know how to respond. Instead, she awkwardly scratched her head.

“Gabby?”

“Hmm?” She looked up. “Darn it. Well. Kinda. But it’s not what you think!”

Gabby cursed Devon inside her head. Her emotions were in a frenzy, and she didn’t know what to say, or how to respond.

“What is it then?” Danni’s voice came out as a whisper.

Gabby sighed. “I saw him with his tongue down Allyssa’s throat. And I overheard a conversation, which—I assume—he didn’t want me to hear.” She looked away. “He’s been trying to threaten me into not telling you anything. A pretty useless thing, since Allyssa already told you everything. Which, by the way, he didn’t believe when I told him.”

“What happened when he came to you?” Danni asked, sounding genuinely curious.

“I told him—politely—that I didn’t want to waste time on him. He blocked my path.”

“What happened then?”

Gabby grumbled by the memory. “Then I tried to walk past him, hurting my shoulder in the try—that boy is a mountain.”

Danni giggled. “I told you how much he works out. Why would you do that?”

Gabby rolled her eyes. “I didn’t think he’d be standing, and I didn’t want to waste any more time with him. Besides, I had to meet up with Damien.”

“You started hanging with Damien?” Danni asked.

“Well—we’re doing a project together. So we’ve been studying furiously.”

“Ah. I see.”

Awkward silence followed.

“I can’t believe you just marched into Devon.” Danni hid a grin. “What I wouldn’t give to see that.”

“Don’t be mean.” Gabby crossed her arms with a pout.

“But seriously, Gabby. Don’t hurt yourself because of me,” Danni said in a serious tone.

“Technically, I didn’t hurt myself. It was more like when we were kids… You know? When we tried to enter a doorframe at the same time, and we got stuck?”

Danni nodded. “I remember. You always had to be first.”

Gabby gasped. “Lies! You always wanted to be first!”

“I guess that’s where the problem was.” Danni started to laugh.

To Gabby, it was a joy to her. She’d missed her sister happy chime.

“So… What are your plans?” Gabby asked after a while.

“What do you mean?”

“You know…” Gabby waved the little note. “With Devon?”

She instantly regretted going back to that topic when Danni’s face darkened, and she went back to her former ghostly self.

“To be honest… I don’t know.” Danni sighed, fumbling with her hands. “On one hand: I’m still hurt, and it’s not like this is going to change the fact that he broke my heart.”

“But on the other hand?” Gabby urged.

“On the other hand: I kinda want to hear his explanations.” Danni averted her eyes, lowering her head in shame.

Gabby fought against her own judgment. “I can follow your line of thoughts on both. When he came to me, I wanted to believe him—I honestly did. I wanted to believe that he was more than just a tool who used my sister.” Gabby leaned back on the bed, patting beside her. When Danni was finally lying beside her, Gabby continued, “But I know what I hear, and what I saw.”

Danni nodded, and Gabby’s heart ached for her sister. She could see that Danni also wanted to believe that he had his reason. But both of them knew that the chances of Devon having anything even remotely close to a reasonable explanation were less than finding out their parents were international spies.

“I don’t really want to talk about him anymore,” Danni whispered.

“Me neither,” Gabby said. Her eyelids were becoming heavy, and she struggled to keep her eyes open.

“Gabby?” Danni asked.

“Mmm?”

“Can I stay here tonight?”

The question caught Gabby by surprise, but instead of answering, she just wrapped her arms around her sister. It didn’t take long before both girls drifted off into a deep dreamless sleep.

 A/N: This was the last for today, the next chapter is gonna be about the Party. What do you think happens when new and improved Peter is released into the claws of teenage girls? Please share your thoughts, and consider a vote. It'll make my day. :)