Chapter 14 - The Party

Chapter 14 – The Party

Gabby woke up Saturday morning. The gentle snoring from Danni could be heard mixed with the sound of birds outside. She rolled over and took a glance at her sister before she noticed the slight buzz from her phone beside her.

“Hi, Gabby. It’s me,” Damien’s voice sounded.

Gabby rubbed her eyes, hiding the yawn before answering. “Hey.”

“Are you ready for tonight?”

It took a moment before her mind caught up. “Sure…”

“That’s great. Look, he slept here, and we’ve been practicing most of the night. I’m a bit hyped about this—to be honest—I think he’s ready.”

“That’s good. What’s the plan?” Gabby asked. The phone went silent for a moment.

“Don’t you have an idea?” he asked.

Gabby almost wanted to laugh at the irony. Here were two people, trying to match two others together, and they had no idea how to plan it.

“Well. I guess we’ll just get ready and meet up later?”

“Will we go together to the party?”

“I think that would be the best, yeah. I know Danni is going with her friends, so she’s disappearing until then.”

“Okay. We’ll come over in the afternoon.”

“Sounds great,” Gabby said and hung up. Glancing to her side, she could see Danni sprawled out beside her.

“Hey,” Danni whispered.

“Morning.” Gabby turned around, facing her sister.

“What time is it?”

“Around ten am…” Gabby rubbed her eyes. “Did you have any nice dreams?”

Danni shrugged. “I can’t remember them if I did.”

“Ah…” Gabby yawned and stretched her limbs. The party wasn’t until later, and she already had her dress. Shoes and make-up would take no time in comparison to satisfying Peter and Damien. She almost groaned at the memory.

“Do you think he’s going to be there tonight?” Danni asked, shaking Gabby out of her thoughts.

“Who?”

“Devon…”

Gabby sighed. “Probably… I mean. The party is for all the popular people—Alyssa and him dominate that list.”

“Do you think it would be better if I stayed away then?”

Gabby jerked up, taking her sister’s hand. “Look. You can hide away here at home. Make them feel like they’ve won whatever price they seem to be after. Or, you can go to the party, have a killer time and let them see that they aren’t getting to you.”

“But they are getting to me, Gabby.” Danni looked at their hands.

Gabby snorted. “They don’t need to know that.”

“That’s gross.”

“What is?”

“That sound you just made. It sounded like you were trying to hark a loogie.”

“Eh. It wasn’t nice things we were talking about anyway.”

Danni smiled. “All right, I’ll go. Besides… You’ll be there, right?”

“Yup. With Damien and Peter in tow.” Gabby raised her hands. “Partyyy. Yay.”

“You’re going with Damien?” Danni asked. Gabby noticed how she started to fiddle with her hands.