Laced - Chapter 29 (Preparations)

Start from the beginning

I gave her a quick nod, although I didn't know. These girls talked about me? Why? They didn't know about anything....unless...

"Stop fooling around, you bitches! Get back to work!" One of the guards yelled from his spot at the door, eyeing us idly standing. I immediately walked out the door of the kitchen, and Elle followed behind me.

I let out a sigh, placing my hands on my hips as I stood in front of the back of the open delivery truck. "I'm exhausted." I complained.

"Me too. We've been doing this all morning." Elle agreed.

I glanced at the inside of the truck, eyeing the work we still had remaining. "Well, we have the rest of this pallet, and two others to unload. And then we'll be done, right?"

"Right."

"We can do this! C'mon, we can just work faster." I pep-talked, grabbing a large sack of gala apples. She nodded quietly, and grabbed cardboard box labeled "Lemons".

I placed the bag onto the table, where Kitty immediately grabbed them and headed to the refrigerators. As Elle set the box of lemons onto the table, I frowned. "I really hate unloading."

"Me too."

And unloading was exactly what we did the rest of the morning.

--

"Good job, Abby. I'mma head upstairs and clean up. I'm so exhausted." Elle high-fived me, and then wiped the sweat off her forehead. The kitchen was now empty except for the two of us - everyone had already finished their jobs.

Nodding, I grinned. "Me too. It was nice talking to you today - although it wasn't exactly fun, what we were doing." I said, referring to the unloading of he truck.

"We should definitely spend some more time together - not doing work, though." She added as an afterthought.

"Yes, definitely!" I agreed.

She started making her way to the exit of the kitchen, near the elevators. "You coming?"

I shook my head. "Go ahead. I'll be up in a few."

She gave me a confused smile, but didn't question why I was staying behind. "Alright, see you later!"

"Bye, Elle!"

When she finally left the kitchen, I took a long look around me. Since I had unloaded the potatoes, I had an idea, and I was dying to do it.

I wanted to cook steak and potatoes.

Now I knew that I probably shouldn't, or else I would get in trouble, but who was going to catch me? Everyone had already been served lunch, and Master Zayn would probably think I was in my room resting since we had worked all day long, right?

Besides, a little cooking wouldn't hurt anyone. I was going to clean up after myself, and to be honest, I'd been dying to have steak and potatoes. It was weird that I could actually say that I missed cooking like I used to before I was brought here, but I did.

So I headed over to the three-compartment industrial sink, and washed my hands with a good amount of soap. After I had dried them, I quickly made my way over to the refrigerator, where I had seen Eleanor store the raw steaks after we'd unloaded them.

I carefully unwrapped two steaks, placing them in a large aluminum bowl, and headed over to the sink to wash the meat. I let cold water wash over the two pieces of uncooked meat, cleaning it from blood and making sure the water ran clear as I washed it.

I set the aluminium bowl onto the table I was working on, and then made my way to the spice closet.

Every time that I had cooked steak before, I'd tried a variety of spices, and most of the time the food came out good, but nothing was as delicious as simple table salt and black pepper.