19. Promises and Proposals

En başından başla

"No, no, Jenny. Not here." His voice mourns for me, as he coils his arms around my back, pressing me into his warm chest.

How could someone so healthy... be dying?

"It's not fair!" I wail out, gripping onto his shirt and pulling on it with all my might. "H-how are you s-so... strong?!"

"Well, I do work out..." He mocks, and I quickly grow frustrated.

"Kenny!" I smack his head with my open palm, and he blinks in confusion. I sob into his chest, keep in mind he is a good half foot above my head. "P-p-please don't go..."

"I'm not going anywhere." He coos downcastedly into my ear, pressing his lips to the area just above. His loving aura surrounds me in a mystical blanket, calming my senses. What a fucking drug, his lips are.

"Promise?" I look up into his eyes which have a very shaky, watery brim of tears.

"I'll promise as long as you do." He leads me over to Dad's Camry, and plops me on the trunk. He follows me on top, entwining his fingers with mine once more.

"Where would I be going?" I smirk half-heartedly, feeling hallow and empty.

"I dunno. Just promise." He stares at me sternly, compassion written into his eyes. That and... love? N-n-no way....

That's it. Whether he's dying soon or not, I'll make these last months worth living for. I'll make him happy.

"I promise." I hold out my pinky for him to catch, and surprisingly, he does.

We kick our feet, back and forth, with silly grins plastered on our faces. We get a few questionable stares, but all-in-all, take no heed to it.

"So...." I say after a while, clearing my throat. "What does this make us?"

"Hmm? Oh. Uh..." He scratches at his chin, gazing up into the sky. His eyes flash with unspoken mischief, as he runs his eyes back down to catch up with mine. "Friends... with benefits?"

"Are you fucking serious?" I let my mouth drop wide open, and he bursts out in a fit of healthy laughter. He clutches at his sides, hoping to gain some leverage, but ultimately falls off the side of the car.

"Course not." He swipes a tear from his eye, and shakily rises back up to basically sit on half of my thigh. His eyes meet mine, a gleam of inspiration twinkling inside his beautiful sky irises. "You know what we are." 

"Do I?" I kick my shoes together, cocking an eyebrow at him. He nods his head, and scoots in closer so our shoulders are touching. He leans into me, resting his temple on my collar, and I do just the same.

"Be my girlfriend?" He whispers seductively into my ear, his hot breaths making my hairs stands straight up. I suppress the urge to groan, and instead, I clear my throat as discreet as possible. I still get a side smirk from the Devil himself, though.

"Yeah, whatever." I shrug my shoulders lazily, however on the inside, I'm jumping for joy, twirling about in the sunshine and rainbows that is my happy life.

"That's a yes?" He perks up, somehow managing to find my hand and cradle it between his legs.

"Yes." I smile weakly, knowing this blissful perfection will slowly fade away with each passing day. I've somehow obtained the artifical feeling of joy from seeing him so happy all at once.

"God, I'm being so selfish." He whispers huskily to himself, before enveloping me in his warm embrace yet again. I close my eyes, leaning into him. My heart turns to apple sauce in his arms. I become the only thing I've told myself that I'd never become; a helpless romantic. Now I see why Paris is so obsessed with love all the time. It's like... a natural high. No need for drugs.