Chapter 35: Coming Home to You

Song: Every Night by Imagine Dragons

Brooklyn POV

I've been in St. Louis for a little over 5 months now and I've had enough. The weather is so bad here, I forgot how annoying it was. One day it'll be sunny and beautiful, and the next day it'll be stormy and absolutely nasty. Also, one day it could be 70 degrees and beautiful and even a few hours later, it'll be 90 degrees and unpleasantly humid. Staying a few days or weeks here isn't bad at all but being here for 5 months is just too much for anyone to handle.

I ended up doing everything on my list of things I wanted to do in STL. I went to the Arch twice, I went to the zoo but not for the whole day because I started feeling bad for the animals, I went to the City Museum and acted like a child for a day, I went to six flags a couple of times, I went to the lantern festival at the Botanical Garden, and I went to a few more baseball games.

I was in the middle of packing my things when my phone started to ring. Everyone gave up on trying to call me so when my phone rang it could only mean one thing.

"Hello."

"Why hello B. Davis."

"Hey T. How's Cali?"

"Pretty good. Everyone's a mess but other than that everything's good. Where are you? Every time I ask you always miraculously have to leave."

"I'm in St. Louis."

"Missouri! You dragged yourself all the way to Missouri?!" I could hear someone in the background ask who she was talking to.

"Please don't tell them its me."

She answered the person while on the phone with me, "one of my friends from the camp I used to go to over the summer. She's a complete moron and decided to drive across the country during her first semester of college instead of actually being at school." Everything she said was true but hopefully whoever she's with doesn't figure out its me.

"Thanks for not ratting me out. Where are you?"

"I promised not to tell and if the only way I can talk to you is by keeping it a secret then that's what I have to do. I'm at your house babysitting Zack since you want someone to be with him as much as possible."

"I just don't want him to believe that I left him because I never would. Everyone's pity looks were just making everything harder so I needed to leave. I honestly didn't want to come back but I miss you and I miss Zack and I want to go home. Please don't tell anyone, I want it to be a surprise."

"Oh thank the lord. We miss you here. How's therapy going?' Yes, I decided to do what Zack wished I would do.

"It's been pretty helpful. Dr. Smith has been so helpful about everything. She is the big reason why I'm coming home. She quoted FDR in saying that the only thing I have to fear is fear itself."

"Smart lady. When do you think you're going to be home?"

"By the end of the week probably. I'll probably drive 10-13 hours a day and stay at some cheap hotel. I'll probably drive to Kansas City tonight and continue my drive the next for the next two days."

"Sounds like a plan. I expect calls and lots of them. If you need help staying awake, please call me."

"Thanks T. I will. I'm going to continue packing and try to leave around 6 so I can get to K.C around 10. Its 10:54 am now so I should be able to pack everything by then"

I got off the phone with her and went to pack up my bathroom. I also cleaned the toilet and shower for the next time someone stayed in this room.

While I was waiting for my timer for the toilet to be done, I started packing up my closet. I didn't have much in there since I mainly used the dresser and didn't have too many things that needed to be hung.