Chapter 2: Car Rides

Brooklyn POV

My alarm actually woke me up today, it's a miracle. Today I have time to get ready like a normal person. I took a nice, long, relaxing shower then went to my closet to pick out my outfit. I picked a white, lacey romper and brown suede booties. I loosely did a side braid and a touch of makeup.

I went downstairs to find a note from my mom:

Sorry honey I couldn't see you this morning, early shift at the hospital. Love you, mom.

With her being the best doctor in Los Angeles, I was used to not seeing her for days at a time. I put the note down and grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl then sat on my favorite leather recliner chair and waiting for Zack to pick me up.

Finally I heard honking from my driveway, he actually showed up. I looked at my phone and noticed we had only 10 minutes till the first bell. I ran outside and got into the car. Thankfully we drove in silence. We made it to school on time. I got out of the car with millions of eyes on me then everyone turned to their friends and started whispering.

"Brooklyn Davis!" I heard my friend yell. I was dead, she only used my full name when she was super mad at me. She always called me B. Davis or B.

I was about to respond when she interrupted me. "Why the fuck are you getting out of his car? I told you to stay away from him!" Tess continued to yell but I zoned out. "Are you even listening to me?"

"Huh yeah, um, he hit my car yesterday so he's giving me a ride to and from school till I get my car fixed. It's not that big of a deal T"

"That son of a bitch. I'll kill him for hitting my best friend's car. And it is a big deal, he's very bad news." Tess was super pissed now.

"How would you know he's bad news? We barely know him." I know she was hiding something and I really want to know what it is.

"I um, it doesn't matter. Just trust me" she's definitely hiding something but what and why?

I dropped the subject and we quietly walked to the library for free period.

The rest of the day went on super slow but eventually the bell rang and I could go home. Zack drove me home and it was quiet and awkward as usual, but I wasn't going to say anything. I got home and like always, I was alone. My older sister, Melissa, was at college out of state so I rarely got to see her except when she visited on holidays, my dad left my mom after she got pregnant with me because he didn't want Melissa much less another child, and my mom always had odd jobs to get enough money for medical school to become a doctor and now that she's a doctor, she's never home.

I went to my room and looked out the window, only to see Zack making out with the school slut, Ally Carter. Gross, I quickly shut my curtains, didn't want to see that. Unfortunately for me, our windows were right across from each other. For some weird reason I felt jealous. Ally has the perfect body, anyone would fall for her, on the other hand there was me, I wasn't pretty and far from it. After thinking about Ally, I peeked out the window and saw them in lying in bed together, talking, it really hurt me to see that and I really didn't know why. I couldn't talk to Tess about it or she would kill me so I went to go to bed early.

The next morning, I did my same daily routine: shower, dress, hair, make up, read note from mom, breakfast, wait for Zack. He honked and I walked to his car. I got in and noticed he had a smirk on his face. Gross. Half way to school I had to break the silence, "when's my car going to be ready?"

"Next week" he answered, monotone.

"Great" back to the awkward quiet.

After a few minutes I got a text from my mom, Morning Brooke! Sorry I wasn't there this morning again, another early shift. Just wanted to let you know I have a conference for the next two weeks out of state so you're going to be home alone. Again sorry honey, I'll see you in two weeks, love mom. Of course another work trip, it didn't bother me anymore, so used to it by now.

We got to school and I rushed out of his car. All the quiet was almost taking away all the air in the car. I looked for Tess to see an annoyed look on her face, of course she wasn't happy.

"Only a few more days T. My car is going to be ready next week" I said before she could say anything.

"Thank god. I don't want you to spend any more time with him. Changing the subject, party's tonight, you exciting?"

"Hell no. Haven't you met me? I hate parties."

"Too bad. You're going" she looked at my face then said "You love me. Hopefully this party changes your life."

"Better not"

We made it to the library and worked on homework I didn't do last night. All I could think about was the player.