Pain

*Emily's POV*

I turned my head slowly as the door opened. 

"Em?" I head Paige's voice. 

"Paige!" I said, wincing as the excitement hurt my ribs. 

"You were really leaving," she said. 

"I told you I was," I said, talking quietly so I wouldn't jolt the left side of my body. 

"You could have died, Em. You could have died. Do you understand that?" Paige asked. 

"Yeah. I do. But I couldn't stand to be in Rosewood any longer. Do you know how many ghosts haunt this place?" I asked. 

"Has your mom been here?" Paige asked. 

"No. They havent' been able to get a hold of her. It's late. She's probably sleeping," I said. 

"Emily, I'm so sorry. I didnt' think you were serious about leaving. I just thought that maybe I had talked some sense into you. Emily, you can't leave Rosewood," Paige said. 

"Why not? I'm so sick of people telling me what I can and can not do! That's why I'm leaving. So I could have a life of my own!" I yelled, cringing because of the pain but powering through because of my anger. 

"Emily, I can't support this. And I'm sure your mom won't either. The police searched your car while you were in surgery. They found your luggage. Before you're discharged from the hospital, I'm sure they'll have already talked to your mom about why you were leaving. And she'll find out you were running away. Emily, it's not going to happen now. Your mom won't let it," Paige said. 

"I'm 18! I don't think any of you understand that I am a legal adult and I can do whatever the hell I want. And I'm leaving," I said. 

"Fine. Goodbye, Em. I'm not going to stand here and watch you throw your life away. Think about what you could have had. With me. With your frineds. Your mom. You're throwing Rosewood away. Just remember that when you cross the town line," Paige said, leaving me sobbing, unable to stop even though it hurt my ribs.