Chapter 30: Togetherness

Start from the beginning

Zack slammed the door and aggressively locked all the locks. I felt so bad that he had to be dragged into my stupid past.

"Zack, honey, are you ok?" he didn't answer, just laughed a humorless laugh. "Did I say something funny?" I was kind of confused why he was laughing.

"How can you ask if I'm ok? It should be the other way around, me asking you if you're ok."

"I'm fine. I just need to go take a shower. I'll be back in about half an hour."

Zack POV

Isolation. That was the only word that was currently floating in my head. I read about it somewhere after what Ralph told me. I just stood in the middle of the hallway looking like a moron.

I needed to call someone but who? If I called Ralph or Anna, they would freak out. If I called Emily, she would go ballistic. If I called Melissa, she would drive all the way down here. Tess was my last option but I haven't had a normal conversation with her in such a long time.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and scrolled through my contacts to find her number. I had it from sophomore year and I guess I never deleted it.

I found her number and clicked on it. She picked up on the second ring. "Hello?"

"Hey Tess."

"What? Whats going on?" she sounded alarmed that I was calling her.

"I have a problem."

"What?"

"Her father found out where we live and he came over-"

"Fuck. Is B ok?"

"I don't know. I asked and she said she was fine then she said she needed to go take a shower. I dont know what to do. We went to Ralph and Anna's yesterday and he warned me about everything and now I'm so lost and its freaking me out that something bad might happen to her."

"You need to calm down. She isn't taking a shower so if she comes out of the bathroom and sees you freaking out then she'll have an anxiety attack."

"What do I do? Should I go into the bathroom now?"

"No."

"No?"

"No. You need to wait and let her have some time to herself. She's probably doing something stupid right now but she wouldn't do anything to harm the baby. As soon as she starts to cry then you need to run in there and be there for her. Before she starts crying, she's just absorbing everything but when she starts breaking down that means it really sunk in. Also, be extremely careful with what you say. She will try and twist everything you say so she can call you the bad guy and leave. If she leaves, never mind, we just cant do that again."

"What do you mean again?"

"One of us will tell you when the time is right. Right now you need to go and wait for her to start crying. If you need anything just call me and I'll be over there."

"Thank you Tess."

"You're welcome. Just please be careful, please."

"I will. Bye." "Wait."

"What?"

"Is there some way you can do something to cheer her up or just make her forget about today?"

"Well, we were planning on throwing her a surprise baby shower tomorrow but you cant tell her. Anna was supposed to tell you yesterday but I'm getting she got preoccupied with B."

"Thank you so much. I cant watch her keep getting hurt. I keep thinking its all my fault, like I got her pregnant and messed up everything."

"No Zack, don't think that. Her life was a mess before you came along but she did a good job hiding it. She trusts you thats why shes showing it more than she did before. So you helped her and all of us are thankful that you could do that."