Chapter Thirty-Two: Romantic First Dates

Erika’s vision became distorted and her breath seemed to hitch in her throat. Despite standing outside in the below zero temperatures, she suddenly grew very hot and a terse burst of adrenaline began to flow through her veins. Millions of thoughts raced through her mind, each more violent and irate than the last, yet she couldn’t bring herself to form proper, coherent words. Instead, she wanted nothing more than to get her hands on the girl who seemed to have taken everything away from her.

After several seconds, she resorted to screaming. A sharp, high-pitched screech ripped out of her and she aggressively kicked at the snow. However, much to her own shock, she wasn’t crying. The tears that were usually her first reaction to anything that upset her were nowhere to be found in the midst of the fury she felt.

It wasn’t until some minutes later that, through a deep breath, she composed herself and met Spencer’s eyes. Bothered at how impassive he appeared to be, he could’ve at least tried to have acted the slightest bit repentant, she flipped back her hair and took a step closer than him.

“You look like shit.” She sneered, surprising both herself and Spencer. Despite his appearances being the last thing on her mind, she found herself continuing. “Your lip’s cut, your teeth look bloody and you’ve got a black eye. Not to mention that your face is swelling up.”

“I…” Spencer frowned slightly, unsure of what to say next and finally shrugged. “Yeah, I know. Russell just beat me up, you were there. I was spitting blood. And I think he broke my cheekbone or something. It’s still throbbing with pain.”

Erika glared at him.

“You deserved it, you know.” She finally said through grit teeth. Suddenly, she realized what she wanted to say to him. “You are a selfish, disloyal, disgusting piece of–”

“I was never disloyal.” He interjected. “We…you…I don’t know what you’re talking about. I mean, we were never even together.”

Erika’s eyes widened and she tilted her head to the side. Her plump lips opened and closed a few times before she recovered.

“Weren’t we?” she finally managed to say. “You really don’t think we had anything?”

Spencer was about to respond, a whole speech had suddenly came to his mind, but she continued talking.

“You know, you were the first person I told about my parents. I trusted you and I turned to you in my worst times. And I even went out of my way to visit you at work. I mean, sure I got you fired but still, it was all in good heart.” Erika paused for a moment and frowned as she tried to determine what she should say next. Finally, she took another deep breath and went on.

“I actually cared about you, Spencer. I mean, I liked you. I really, really liked you! And I honestly thought the feelings were reciprocated. You certainly acted like it. But apparently not!” her voice began to grow louder and her anger became more apparent. “Because little did I know that you were screwing the girl who was supposed to be dating Chade and actually dating Russell, one of your best friends. God, she is such a slut. I think I hate her more than I hate you.”

“Erika,” a pained expression came on Spencer’s face and his eyebrows scrunched together. If Erika wasn’t so mad at him and if he weren’t so bloodied up, she would’ve found him cute. “You’ve got it all wrong. I never had sex with Abbey. I just made out with her once, and that was only because she forced herself on me. Which I know sounds pretty bad on my part because she’s kind of small but still.”

When she stayed quiet, he knew what he had to say next. Feeling shy, Spencer averted his eyes and kicked at the snow slightly before beginning.

“I think I like you too, Erika.” He murmured diffidently. “I…yeah…”