Chapter Eighty-Six: Little Things

Wednesday morning he arrived to a straight haired Gemma.

    He felt a pang in his chest, as he longed for her curls.

    "I got rid of the perm look!" She exclaimed as he sat down. But something about her smile didn't seem genuine.

    "Nice," He paused, pulling off his hat, "But my hair situation hasn't changed."

    "Just be thankful you look good in a beanie."

    He wiggled his eyebrows at her. "So you think I look good, huh?"

    "Oh don't get cocky about it. And stop doing that thing with your eyebrows, it looks like they're having mini sezuires."

    He leaned closer, and continued to wiggle them. She pushed his face away with a smile, and ordered their coffees.

    "So how has work been?" He asked as he blew the steam off his coffee.

    "Is that really all we have left to talk about?" She laughed, and then in a lower tone, "Bor-ring."

    He rolled his eyes, "What else do you want to talk about?"

    "I don't know, I always choose the-"

    "Why did you straighten your hair?"

    She eyed him suspiciously. "You already know why."

    "Not really. I know you didn't want an afro, but . . . "

    "Curls are," She made air quotes, "Unprofessional."

    He frowned. "Who said that?"

    "It's nothing, Noah."

    "Gemma . . . ."

    She jutted her chin out rather defiantly and responded, "It doesn't matter anyway, because I agree."

    He didn't believe her. But he knew it wasn't an argument he could win, so he dropped it.

    But the longer he spoke with her, the more he realized the little things. The bags under her eyes were worse than usual, her shoulders sagged, her eyes were watery and reddish. Her eyes were still bright, despite the tired glint to them.

    He didn't say anything, nor did he point out the things that hinted that she was not as fine as she seemed to be.