Chapter Fifty-One: Expired Love

His dreams that night were plagued by her words.

"but really, have you not felt it?"

He couldn't help but think, believe that she could be right. That maybe he had felt it, maybe he had felt something, or lack thereof. Maybe his only problem, the only problem with their relationship, was letting go.  

He couldn't let go. Not of her, not of what they had. He had to fight, for her, for them.

But some battles have no end, some aren't worth fighting. Because he wouldn't be fighting to keep her, he'd be fighting to keep convincing himself of his own lies. What they had wasn't there anymore.

He finally felt it. That empty feeling. A place in his heart which was both broken and free. A place where he could finally find come to terms with what he was feeling.

And she said she had felt it too.

He received a letter that following morning, without a return address.

"You once said 'only you,' and I believed you."

He reread her words, words that were so clearly hers, and finally put his head between his knees and cried. She couldn't have believed him, no, not when they were so far gone. He wished so desperately for things to go back to the way they were, yet they couldn't, and he knew this. It was expired love.

He thought,

I once said 'only you,' yet my heart disagreed. And as much as I may want to, I cannot argue with my heart.