Chapter Thirty-Three: Remember This

Friday did not arrive with its usual bliss.

    Noah wasn't in a particularly good mood, but when he arrived at the shop, Gemma looked bright as ever.

    "I decided to try and get things back to normal, you know?"

    He was too tired to raise an eyebrow, so he merely sat down and watched her with dull curiosity. "Hmm?"

    She pulled out a familiar navy blue folder out. He broke out in a slow smile.

    "Remember this?" She asked.

    "Sure do."

    "Well, I have decided to sing it for you."

    He stared at her, waiting for the punchline, and when it didn't arrive he finally realized she wasn't joking. She was actually going to sing to him.

    She stood up, eyes locked with his. A coy smile played her lips, and something about it was mesmerizing.

    He couldn't focus on her words, only on her voice, only on her.

    His subconscious was aware that others were looking, but his conscious mind didn't give a shit.

    Her voice couldn't hit the highs, but it was rich and warm and sweet and low, carrying through the shop. It was beautiful, captivating, in a way he couldn't explain.

    But he was smiling more and more, and by the end, she was grinning too.

    He clapped, and she bowed, before quickly scrambling to correct herself with a curtsey. He laughed, and she sat back down.

"Thoughts?"

"You are amazing, Gemma." He responded sincerly, and her smile lit up the room.

Fuck, who was he kidding, it lit up the world.