Chapter Thirty-One: False Smile

Gemma woke with swollen eyes. She hated when that happened. It was the main reason she didn't like crying. She also woke to the smell of Bea's coffee, and seriously pondered whether or not she wanted to even go to the shop. She didn't feel up for the questions.

    But she did tell Bea. Gemma's tears were long dry, so she spoke in a slow, weary tone.

    "Oh my god, Gems! Why the fuck didn't you wake me?"

    "It was nearly eleven."

    "Eleven? Oh god Gem, how long did you . . . " She shook her head sadly. Bea knew Gemma was always a bit too optimistic, she never knew when to stop hoping. She probably would've been there all night if she were able. "I'm so sorry. That bastard."

    "It's not that bad, I only talked to him a few times."

    "Oh Gem, you know that's never true with you. You probably were already convinced he was your soulmate." Bea meant it jokingly, but when she saw Gemma's face she immediately felt guilty. "I'm sorry."

    She sighed. "It's okay." She said, but it wasn't, it was what you were supposed to say.

     Bea then narrowed her eyes. "No. It's. Not." She pulled Gemma's arm, pulled her out into the hallway. They both were in their pjs, Bea still held her coffee mug in her hand. "413, right?"

    "Bea?" Gemma asked, warning to her tone. Bea was known to be a bit . . . Oh, batshit crazy.

    Bea knocked, and a sleepy, hungover Jason answered. He squinted at the two of them, and when he saw Gemma he realized why they were at his door.

    "Shit." He muttered under his breath. Bea grinned coldly, a false smile. A terrifying smile.

    "Gemma, hold my coffee."