Chapter Sixty-Three: Flip Switched

"I'm really sorry-"

    "No it was me-"

    "We shouldn't've-"

    "Yeah." He sighed, "I know."

    Mia continued to look at him awkwardly, and it was in that moment he knew they'd never have the same friendship again. This saddened him, but he didn't try to soften the blow. "Noah, I'm really sorry." She spoke, "I hope things are okay with Juliana."

    The mention of her name caused a pang in his heart. "No, we actually . . . I mean we aren't . . . "

    Her eyebrows shot up, then settled as she came to terms with what he was saying. "I was your rebound." She muttered sadly.

    "I'm so sorry, Mia. I never meant to. I swear." He looked to his feet. "You deserve better."

    She didn't say anything more. She gave him one more pitiful look, before walking away.

    He watched her go, tired and aching for his old routine back. His old life back. The life where he and Mia were good, the life where nothing had ever come between him and Juliana, the life with less complications.

    He thought this for a while. He thought this well into the night, wishing for his old life, until he realized the magnificent Gemma Summers wasn't in it.

    And suddenly, as if a flip switched, and he no longer found himself wishing for it.