Chapter Sixty-Two: Too Quickly

"What the fuck happened Saturday?" She practically hissed as he entered the shop. He kept his eyes glued to the ground.

"I'm sorry, Gemma."

    "That," She spat, "Is not the goddamn answer I'm looking for."

    "Gemma-"

    "What happened? Why, one moment, you call me in the dead middle of the night asking for my help, yet in the next you . . . " She trailed off, choked.

    "Gemma, what did I do?" He finally pleaded, hanging his head in shame. His guilty eyes met hers, resembling those of a puppy's.

    "Y-You . . . You called me up. You said you were lost, though you weren't exactly asking to be found. You wouldn't tell me where you were, or what had happened, or why you were screaming, why you were upset, you wouldn't tell me a single fucking detail!" Her voice trembled in anger, yet her eyes were tearing up. "And then you don't call me back, tell me you're okay, and I wait, praying you're alright and hoping I didn't screw up as much as you said I did."

    "What?" He asked, astonished. "I said what?"

    "Nothing. You're missing the point. I . . . " Her voice cracked and she couldn't help but let a sob escape her lips. He pushed his chair back as he stood, nearly too quickly, and rushed to her. She stood as well, embarrassed of crying, and tried to leave. But he caught her in his arms, pulled her to his chest, hugging her tightly against him.

    "I'm sorry."

"I was so fucking worried," She sobbed, "when you didn't call back the next morning, or the next day, and if you hadn't shown today I don't know what I would've done . . . "

He held her tighter, aching for her smile and for the effects of Saturday night to go away. He wanted to apologize over and over, apologize not for what he had done, but for what he had put her through. "Please forgive me." He whispered into her hair, despite feeling he shouldn't be forgiven.

"Don't ever do that again."

"Promise." He assured her, pulling partially out of the embrace to push some of her hair from her puffy eyes. She smiled a small, shy smile, and looked to the floor. She gathered up her stuff, turning to leave (as they both would already be late to work) when he spoke.

"And Gemma?"

"Yes?"

"I don't think I've ever felt this way before."

"Felt what?"

He only smiled in response, before heading out the door.