Chapter Sixty: Damn Him

Gemma's phone lit up. It was nearly midnight, but she still checked to see who it was.

An unknown number, yet she knew exactly who was calling.

And in his drunken state, he said he needed her. He said he'd screwed up, he said he was drunk and lost and couldn't find his way home.

She tried to ask what happened, but he hung up. She called again, her eyebrows knit together in growing worry.

"Where are you?"

"I don't know." His mouth was too close to the phone and caused his voice to come through muffled and staticky.

"Noah, let me help you. Tell me where you are." She tried to reason, but his mood shifted.

"This is your fault!" He spat, " And this, all of this, is a mistake. You screw up my life and leave me to fix it? Fuck you." He hung up once again.

But the next time she called, and the time after that, and the time after that, her calls went to voicemail. She tried until she gave up, unable to do anything. This both terrified her, and made her furious.

She came to the conclusion that her evening had been terrible. And she didn't even know why, and she wouldn't know until Monday, if he even showed.

For being 'just friends', she cared an awful lot about the man who now was wandering drunk and lost on the streets. Damn him, she knew him for barely under a month, yet she was already so attatched.

She went to bed exasperated, anxious, angry and above all . . . .

Worried. So un-fucking-believably worried.