CAUGHT OFF GUARD: CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO

MAIN CHARACTER 👆🏾

KHALIL💕

As the boisterous chatter of the basketballs was chambered into muffled echoes, Dave and I looked at each other, unsure of what else to say or do. The sunlight reflecting off the court seemed like it should be making noises of its own as it shimmered and bounced around the room chaotically, occasionally striking us in the face.

I was torn between inviting him to go with us-- which I knew he wanted to do-- and having to share my precious little time alone with Cole. After all, I'd only had Cole back for slightly over twenty-four hours, and his parents would be home by the weekend, so I felt justified in being greedy.

But, I understood Dave's need to talk, to be with and get to know us. Countless memories of my past yearning for friendship, inclusion and acceptance flooded my mind, and I knew I would give in and share Cole with him, even this soon. Besides, I was very excited to be gaining a new friend.

We shuffled sideways to the aisle and started up the steps. Dave got to the door on the landing and turned to me as I stepped up to face him. He reached out and drew me quickly into a tight embrace, whispering in my ear,

"Thanks. Thanks for... listening."

"I'm really glad we met, Dave." I returned his hug and added, "And I'd really like us to be friends, y'know?"

He released his grip a little and tilted his head back to look me in the eyes. "That'd be... really cool. It's so great to know there's at least two other guys in school I can be, like, myself around." He looked down between us and released the hug.

As he stepped back, he seemed almost embarrassed, looking at the floor "Man, I don't think you know how big a load off my mind talking to you about all this was, Khalil. There's so much I wanna talk about with you." Still not looking up, he mumbled, "I hope you really mean it... 'bout bein' friends, for real." He looked back up into my eyes.

I saw real need for assurance in his eyes. "Sure I mean it, Dave. I mean, I know we just barely met 'n all that, but I really like you already, and Cole's already told me he likes you a lot too."

His face lit up, "He did?"

"Oh yeah. I was kinda freaked out about this morning, the way we met an' all, cuz... I didn't know where you were coming from, y'know? I asked him what he thought and he told me I should be nice to you, that you're a really cool dude."

He beamed back at me as we stepped through the door, "He said that?"

I smiled reassuringly at him. "Yeah, he did."

It looked like he was picturing Cole saying that, like it made him so happy to hear, but then a scowl overtook his delighted features, "Yeah, but, he doesn't know I was... you know, in love with him. That might change how he..." He trailed off.

"Dave, I don't think that's gonna make him like you any less. Hell, I would think he'd be pretty damn flattered by it, y'know? I know I would be." I grinned a little, but said what I was thinking anyway, "I mean, who wouldn't be flattered if someone as good-looking as you was in love with them?" He grinned back a little too, and I decided to get off that particular subject, "Anyway, I know he'll wanna be friends with you. He told me so. I know he'll want all three of us to be friends."