CAUGHT OFF GUARD: CHAPTER THIRTY

MAIN CHARACTER 👆🏾

KHALIL💕

Well?! What's going on here, Cole?" Mrs. Manning demanded again, a little less shrill.

"Mom I... mom I..." Cole stammered, fell silent and slumped, hanging his head. I couldn't see his face then. And i still couldn't, move a muscle.

I know Mrs. Manning could see the look of sheer terror on my face-- mouth slightly open, eyes wide. Every time she would look at me, my blood ran cold and my gut wrenched painfully. If looks could kill, I would have been cremated.

She was a striking woman. She was movie star beautiful. She had beautiful blonde hair and big bright brown eyes like Cole -- she reminds me of Jaida , I thought, but taller, and with a very confident, imposing, professional demeanor. Even stunned, she looked composed. I could see where Cole got his eyes and lips. She waited silently for a few moments for Cole to continue. When she saw he wouldn't, or couldn't, she took her hand off the light switch and turned away.

"Get dressed and come downstairs... Both of you," she said flatly, as she pulled the door shut.

Neither of us moved an inch. It was probably only thirty seconds, but seemed like an hour. I couldn't even speak, let alone think. Cole's head still hung down. I heard a faint sound and realized what he was saying as he became audible, getting louder each time he said it, and slowly raising his head till he was looking at the ceiling

"Fuck, fuck, fuck, Fuck, FUck, FUCk, FUCK, FUCK!!!!"

I was afraid she heard the last couple of those. He fixed his gaze on the ceiling and took several deep breaths.I still couldn't even twitch a muscle, except for the knots my stomach was continually tying itself into. He leveled his gaze and turned it slowly to me.

When he saw my face he started laughing! I couldn't believe it! He fucking started laughing!I was still paralyzed and speechless, so I couldn't react to him. He kept laughing as he turned his body and came down on his elbow behind me. I was still lying on my side, up on my right elbow with my neck and shoulder aching from holding my head up toward the door all this time.

My first movement was turning my head even more to look at him behind me. I don't think my expression changed, but he could see the big question mark of-- what's so fucking funny?-- in my eyes.

"I'm sorry, Khalil," he laughed some more and wound it down to a chuckle. "I'm sorry, but nigga, if you could see your face! I'm sorry, I'm not laughing at you, well I am, but--" He saw my expression soften and grinned, "-- If you could have seen your face!"He looked at me for a moment; then his smile withered.

"Oh man, oh shit. Goddamn, Khalil, what do I do?" His eyes were wide as saucers, "I'm not ready for this. I can't face her! I don't know what to say!"

He was pleading with his eyes, for something I couldn't come up with at that moment. I was totally at a loss, still trying to process this. I was so terrified of his mother, I had almost peed the bed when her glare stayed on me for a few seconds-- there was no way I could go down there-- no way. I'd jump out the window before I'd go down there! I couldn't go down there.I turned my body around to face him, and looked into his eyes.