Hesitation

*Niall*

Right as it was she was just standing there. I backed against the wall and I was scared. I saw that Harry was under the influence of alcohol. Behind him stood a slim girl with a small tight-fitting dress. She giggled, but why? I swallowed and I looked at Harry again. I was ready. He would beat me, talk about what a shit I am and then leave me to die in my own blood.

"Are you here?"

His question made me swallow again. Eleanor stood close by my side and I knew she was ready to defend me.

"Yes?" she got up, but Harry just looked at me, right into my eyes. What was changed was his eyes. It wasn't angry, it wasn't filled with hate. It was just empty.

"Do you have fun?"

I chose to nod. He quickly pulled his hand through his hair and he looked down at my shirt.

"Nice...!"

What the hell had happened? Why didn't he take a step towards me to say that I was a worthless fagot who should die? I didn't know what to say, and I wasn't just sure over if that was a compliment? I felt the wall against my back and I felt small.

"The drinks are free!" he continued hoarsely. "There's more in the kitchen if you want more to drink."

Why, did he wanted me to drink? He wanted to see me disturbed and so drunk that he could beat me without any problems? Yet I sensed that something had happened. He wasn't angry, he wasn't mad, not at me, not this evening. He left us and the girl followed faithfully with him. I watched them glide through the room, toward the couch and finally I could breathe normally.

"What was that all about?" asked Eleanor uncertain. I had no idea what to say.

"I don't know!"

She frowned.

"Maybe we should go before he changes his opinion or mood?"

I swallowed and I frowned.

"No, I'm not going to be that cowardly idiot tonight." I looked at her. "Maybe he just want to take it easy when he's in a house like this?"

She cleared her throat a little bit.

"Niall, something's wrong about him and this..."

I nodded and I tried to think clearly.

"He may just not be in the mood to beat up a gay tonight?"

She laughed quietly and she got up a smile.

"Or he's not in school, where he has all the power? Here he's just a guy?"

I peered toward Harry. The girl slipped up in his lap and she brought her arms around his neck. He didn't look the least bit interested in her. He didn't even like her. Instead, he drank from a cup, and he let his eyes slide across the room. I gasped when he let his eyes stay straight at me. I become stiff and I was influenced by this moment. Why hadn't he said a lot of mean thing to me or tried to hit me? Now he sat and just stared at me. His eyes were fixed on me alone. Maybe he was planning to do something later? Maybe he just wanted to take it easy and plan how he would do to hurt me in the best way?

"We should go!" I got up to Eleanor. I looked at her again. "Something's really wrong!"

She was fast. She took her hand around my elbow and we went towards the stairs. Then she realized something.

"Louis?"

I gave Harry one last look.

"We're looking him up and then we go home."