78- Warwick High: A History

KAYLA:

"Warwick High was founded more than 550 years ago, although the precise date is uncertain. Built to be an institution for sons of dukes and lords, it soon gain reputation to be one of the best schools in the whole of Great Britain. Its founding fathers: Hon. Alcott de Ros, Leicester Devereux and Sir Edward Montagu worked hard to make sure only the best of the best- sons of those with money, social standing and connections- had a place in the school. In a time when class was everything, it was highly essential that the upper class did not mix with those... less privileged... to ensure that their manners remained as refined and as polished as what it was... expected of them."

I casted a quick glance at Cal, but he seemed to be preoccupied staring into his glass of brandy. Too caught up in his father's story to care, I quickly fixed my attention on William Cafferty again.

"Despite all the... preventive measures taken, it was soon apparent to the founding fathers that some of their students were just naturally more... talented than others. The fathers wanted to group together these elite students of theirs, to found a fraternity of sorts with these boys who they believed would one day become very important people in society as members. They wanted these students of theirs to feel special, in the hopes that they would fulfil the founding fathers'... premonitions."

William Cafferty gave a quick smile, probably loving Sam's and my unwavering attention. Pouring somemore brandy into his glass, he swirled it around absentmindedly.

"And hence the Gamma Phi Teta fraternity club was born. Now, I don't know if you girls know the significance or the meanings behind the-"

Unable to help myself, I butted in, my words rushed.

"Gamma is three in Greek, which represents the number of founding fathers of the school. Phi represents the golden ratio: the special number in Greek that appears many times in art, architecture, geometry... And Teta..." I hesitated. "Well, it could either be referring to thanatos, which means death, or the Greek Goddess Tethys, or... maybe even Tetha, the number 8..."

The room was silent; even Cal looked up from the depths of his brandy. William Cafferty leaned backwards into his seat, his shrewd look replaced by an impressed one.

"I'm surprised, young lady. I should give you more credit than what you deserve. Care to tell us a bit more about Teta: like, for example, why could it stand for thanatos? Death is a strong word to appear as part of a frat group, don't you think?"

I took a deep breath, my eyes sparkling.

"The Greeks believed that all humans have a death drive; Thanatos. It is this drive that causes humans to engage in risky, even self-destructing behaviours, leading to death. So, I guess... I mean, the reason the founding fathers inserted that as part of the club's name was probably to push its elite members to live every day to its fullest, because since everyone was born with this drive, there... well, there would be no way to cheat death: Everybody would die anyway. Perhaps the fathers believed that it would spur its members towards even higher achievements."

I chanced a look at Cal, who was smiling at me. Encouraged, I continued.

"If, instead, Teta referred to the Greek Goddess Tethys, maybe the fathers wanted their chosen sons to remember that wealth and prosperity could be found anywhere: Tethys was said to nourish the earth with encircling fresh water streams, after all. However, if Tetha, or the number eight, was referred to, it was to stand for wisdom, as it was the symbol of the Goddess of Babylonia, the creator of wisdom."

"Very very good, Ms. Thomas," Mr. Cafferty said, his eyes twinkling. "And here I thought you were just another commoner. Bravo!" he exclaimed, raising his glass at my direction. "No wonder my son chose you: Brains and Beauty, if not so much wealth."