8- Running Away

KAYLA:

"That's really about that," I said, handing him a ball of tissues.

Cal made a face at his reflection. We were in the Science lab, and I was holding a mirror so he could check himself out. Cal didn't feel like cleaning up in the cafe, where we would, no doubt be faced with more open-mouth stares and smirks, so he had literally begged the lab assistant to let us use the huge lab sinks.

So here we were.

"But I'm still blue! Don't tell me I'm supposed to be walking around the school looking like a Smurf?!"

His strong British accent came out, and I caught a glimpse of the pampered boy I knew he was, deep down inside.

"Look, I'm sorry Cal. There really is nothing we can do about the colour. It'll eventually fade away, I promise."

Cal pouted, like a 6 year old kid denied Christmas. Suddenly, I felt terrible. I was the one who was responsible for him getting into this trouble. And whoever heard of a jock getting slushied? Thanks to me, I could have very well ruined his image here!

"Cal, I really really am sorry!" I said sadly, looking at the sink.

For a moment, Cal forgot to look upset.

"Why are you sorry? You didn't slushie me!"

"But I was the one who got you into this mess. If I hadn't been there, you would have been laughing along with your friends right now! If I hadn't been there, you would have still... you know. I mean, guys like you never get slushied! And now, you're..."

I paused, not knowing what to say. 

"Kayla, stop blaming your existence for this stupid incident, please. And I was the one who, so very chivalrously if I may say, came to your rescue.," he said, a small smile on his face as he scrutinised me. "Plus, how could I just let that... that... jerk get away with something like that? Nobody's allowed to treat any of my friends that way!"

I didn't hear anything else. He had called me his friend! My heart jumped. My first friend here was Cal Cafferty, the high school Mr. Perfect! 

"...And you know what? Getting slushied is not all that bad!"

I giggled in shock.

"No, really, it isn't." Cal said earnestly, his brown eyes wide. "Apart from the whole live-life-once-and-try-everything part of it, the shock when the coldness bites your face really is out of the world, don't you think?"

This time, I really laughed out loud, clutching the sink for support.

"Cal! First and foremost, its 'You live only once', and the quote didn't say anything about having to experience everything. Secondly, its the shock that's supposed to be the part that everyone hates, not loves!"

"Yeah well, we can always... Hang on," Cal said suddenly, looking at me seriously. "You sound so familiar..."

I gulped, fearing that I had said too much.

Slowly, Cal shook his head, his smile returning to his face. "No, its okay. Forget it. Its not possible."

"What's not possible?"

Cal paused, weighing his words. 

"Weelll, its just that, erm... yesterday... eh." He paused, looking at me, his eyes narrowed. "Please don't laugh, Kayla. What I'm going to say will sound extremely stupid, but..."

I indicated a zipped mouth, and threw the imaginary key away. To be honest, I could feel my heart suddenly pumping faster, anxiety taking over me.

"Well, yesterday, I met this girl out in the park at night. And well... Hey! We didn't do anything!" He suddenly exclaimed, mistakening my nervous look for one of teasing. 

"Anyway, we just sat there... and talked. And, well... I don't know... it just felt, you know, good, talking to her. Something about her just seems so... open... so friendly. I've never been that... honest in... well, my entire life..." his voice trailed away, a wistful look in his eyes. Then, he looked at me square in the eye, as if daring me to laugh. When I didn't, he hesitatingly continued.

"Thing is, I didn't get her name... heck, I don't even know how she looks like! But I'm going there, tonight, you know? I hope she'll be there..."

I swallowed, a lump in my throat.

"Yeah, I hope so too," I whispered, my heart jumping around.

Cal blinked, my voice as if suddenly awakening him from a trance.

"Uhh, yeah, anyway. I got to go, I'll see you, Kar- Kayla," he said hurriedly, grabbing his bag. He practically ran towards the door, his blue-stained shoelaces almost tripping him.

I watched him dash out, slamming the door behind him. The silence of the room was deafening, and I slowly got up, my thoughts all over the place. One thing I was more than sure of, though.

I'll be there, Cal, I whispered, remembering the fragile look on his face. We're friends. I'll be there, promise.