16- Who Are You?

KAYLA:

I gasped, the cold water hitting my face like sharp needles. Grabbing a face towel, I gently patted my skin dry. Standing up, my reflection stared back at me. My green eyes were slightly red, but other than that, i had virtually erased all other signs of my previous sadness. I wasn't sure what did it; it was either being told for the first time in my life that I was pretty, or the shock that the friend I thought I had made did not invite me to her party- but either way, I felt strangely calm. Tying my hair back in a high ponytail, I realized that there was no point in crying over some stupid party. My mum's words came rushing back.

Remember what will get you through life.

Grabbing my phone, I composed a text message to Cal, telling him to go on without me. Before I sent it, though, I caught myself just in time.

This is supposed to be Elle's number!

Shaking my head, I ran downstairs and sneaked Ivan's phone up. He was always leaving it lying around, he probably would never have realized that I had took it. Cradling it in my hands, I retired to the safety of my room before recomposing and resending it my message. Not waiting for his reply, I threw the phones under my bedsheets and stretched luxuriously.

Now what?

Instinctively, I grabbed my laptop towards me, and waited patiently until the Apple logo lit up. Don't ask me why, but during periods of stress, I almost always reach for my computer, even though I don't have any clue as to what I'm going to do. To be honest, I used to be quite an accomplished hacker, and a pretty decent gamer, but, you know... I've stopped for quite some time, so I had no idea whether I was still good at it. Everything moved quickly in the technological world, and you had to constantly update your knowledge; something I clearly haven't been doing ever since the stupid public exams came up.

Which was why the twins had snickered when Cal asked whether I ran. I was far from being an athlete, preferring, even during my younger years, to spend my evenings curled up in front of a computer, trying to hack through my school's website (just for fun, of course), or immersing myself in an RPG. 

Which was also why I grew up plump, I thought to myself wryly.

Subconsciously, I launched Safari. Google's search box popped up, its blinking cursor just screaming at me to search for something. Anything.

Or Anybody.

My fingers flew across the keyboard without me even thinking.

Cafferty, I typed.

About 3,300,000 results, it said, and my eyes flew open in shock. So much for it being a unique name, I thought to myself.

The first site on the page was the Cafferty family website. I smirked, clicking on it. It definitely was an old family, reeking of lots and lots of money, and with an even bigger ego to match if it was to have its own family website.

An elegant page greeted me, and a Flash presentation told me that the Cafferty's were an old family, dating back ever since the 1800's. The great-great Cafferty's were landlords, making quick money during the Revolution, and the younger generation had basically spun the money by investing in particularly good stocks and businesses.