28- Confessions

KAYLA:

A note lands gently on my table. Looking up, I see a kind-looking football guy winking at me, before turning to face the teacher again. 

"Who's that from?" Sam whispers, her eyes locking in on the paper.

I shake my head, praying that she doesn't press me. Thankfully, she got the hint and kept quiet, trying her best not to let her eyes stray back to the paper. I hold the offensive thing tightly in my fist. Without even opening it, I knew who it would be from. The same person who had thrown pebbles to my window. The same person who had texted and called me a bazillion times last night. The same person who had been in my mind the whole frigging night, and who I blamed my dark circles for.

Cal. Cal Cafferty.

I placed my clenched hand on my lap, wondering whether I should open the paper. I sighed. I knew that there was absolutely not going to be any way of avoiding Cal: Even if I died today, without meeting him, he'd probably find some clairvoyant to contact me or something. But what would I say when I see him?

I'm sorry I acted that way, I didn't know what possessed me somehow didn't quiet cut it, I thought to myself.

I'm sorry I ran away, I was just so shocked, I didn't know what to think?

I'm sorry, I've just never kissed a guy before sounded pathetic.

I'm sorry, I was just so shocked as to how I reacted after you kissed me? I mean, really, who gasps after they get kissed?

Or rather: I'm sorry, I was just so shocked as to how I reacted, 'coz you see, you're the first guy to kiss me, but to be honest, I quite liked it, and I think I may accidentally like you too, but judging from your messages which I didn't really read, you're probably freaked out by my reaction and by today, you must have thought that it was a mistake kissing me, and now you want to meet me to apologize for something you were sorry of but I'm not.

Hmm. Somehow I don't think Cal would take calmly to that.

Unconsciously, I traced my finger on my lips, still remembering the feel of Cal's lips on mine. True, it was just a brush, but it was the emotions I felt when it happened that counted, didn't it? To be honest, I really didn't mine that he stole my first kiss: he was a wonderful guy, who made me feel completely happy. In fact, he was exactly the type of guy who I'd always imagined would be my boyfriend...

Boyfriend?

My heart thumped faster. Was that what he was to me now? Was that why he wanted to meet me so much? Did he want to know how I feel for him?

What exactly did I feel for him?

I... I liked him, I realized suddenly. I really did like him. Aiden... took my breath away, but... Cal I knew. Cal I understood. Aiden was nothing to me but a pretty face, but Cal was, first and foremost my friend. And I understood him more than I've ever understood anybody before.