47- This is Reality... and Sometimes, Things Don't Go the Way They Should

CAL:

“...no! Please!” I hear Kayla’s voice coming from somewhere upstairs.

Yup, I knew it would only be a matter of time for her to be here. Holding in my sigh, I wait for the door to open.

When I woke up, my left leg was shackled to the wall already. I’ve been trying to get out of it, but I can’t. It’s impossible. I need a key. Either that or I saw off my leg, and pardon me, but I just don’t have the stomach for that!

Then, just on cue, the door to the basement opens, casting a dim light into the basement. It’s barely noon, and it’s already getting dark. 

The light from the upstairs gets block, as my captor shoves Kayla inside. I can hear her ragged breathing. The door slams in her face and she begins pounding on it, crying openly.

“No! No! Please! You can’t do this! Please!” she screams, over and over again.

“It’s no use. The room is sound proof,” I mumble darkly.

Kayla whirls around, looking frightened. From the top of the stairs where she is, she can’t see me.

“W-who’s there?” she stammers.

“It’s me baby. Cal,” I whisper as soothingly as possible.

She hurtles down the stairs and jumps onto my lap, grabbing hold of my neck like it’s her lifeline. I wrap my arms around her waist and hold her close to me, relishing in her scent.

“Are you alright? Did he hurt you?” I ask, brushing her hair away from her face.

She shakes her head jerkily and then looks around at the tiny rustling sounds.

“It’s okay. It’s just a family of rats...” I mutter bluntly.

She doesn’t need to know how much I freaked out making that discovery!

“Are you okay?” she demands fiercely, pressing her hands against the sides of my face.

“I’m fine. Fine, baby,” I whisper gently.

She assesses me and nods her head, resting her head against my chest.

“I suppose it’s a stupid question, but why did you follow me?” I ask.

She stares at me incredulously, shaking her head. “You could have been hurt! I couldn’t just sit around and wait!” she insists.

“Au contraire, that’s exactly what I wanted you to do! Now we’re both stuck!” I mumble, shaking my head.

“We can get out! I climbed out of the window last night,” she announces confidently.

I smile at her weakly and gesture to my leg. She stares at it uncomprehendingly for a moment.

Sighing, I strain against the shackles and she gasps in shock.

“Oh my god! Cal!” she squeaks.

“It’s alright. You can get out. You have to go, baby, okay? Just listen to me! You have to go, okay? Go back to the motel, call Ivan and Sean. Tell them to get off the streets! The psycho knows your entire family! You have to get them back to the motel, alright?” I instruct her calmly.

She stares at me, a hard look on her face. Just as she opens her mouth to protest, I hold a finger to her lips.

“No. You’ll do as I say this time Kayla. You’ll climb out. Take some of the sketch books and newspaper clippings with you. Once you’re at the motel, call the police department. Ask for Inspector Hugh. We talked to him yesterday when we were looking for you. Tell him where I am. Show him the sketch book and everything. Then you and your family have to stay at the motel, alright?”