51- He's Just Lost

CAL:

Kayla’s horrorstruck expression has me rethinking my plan. I know it isn’t exactly the most sane thing ever…but he is my brother – half brother. That must count for something, right? Blood runs thinker than water and all that psychobabble.

“Baby…I donno why…but I have to! He’s my brother,” I plead.

“You don’t have to do anything Cal! You don’t!” she insists firmly.

“That’s where you’re wrong baby…wouldn’t you do it too? If say it was your brother down there…you would want to see him right?” I challenge gently.

“But that’s different! My brother would never-”

“Be messed up? Psychotic? A murderer?” I cut her off. I can’t help the bitterness in my tone. “Not all of us can have perfect families.”

“Cal!” she wails, getting off the bed. She stands by Inspector Hugh and assesses me coldly. “I don’t mean it like that…I’m just saying-”

“Save it baby! This isn’t one of those circumstances where you can empathize and try to put yourself in my shoes. I know, logically, I sound mental. But…not everything operates on logic, babe,” I whisper, biting my lower lip.

“Mr Cafferty…Miss Thomas is right, you know? This is a most extraordinary circumstance. Nobody would judge you harshly if you choose not to see him,” he murmurs gently.

“You think I care what people think?” I demand, my eyes flashing a little. Inspector Hugh flinches back and sighs loudly.

“It’s your choice in the end, Mr Cafferty,” he concedes.

“You bet it is,” I ascertain moodily.

Kayla stares at me with her wide green eyes full of betrayal and hurt.

“Could you leave us alone?” Kayla asks politely, though it sounds more like an order than a request.

Sensing it too, Inspector Hugh obliges and stands up to leave. “I really am sorry, Mr Cafferty. And just so you know, I have some of my officers positioned outside of your brother’s room…so if you need to see him, you’ll be safe.”

“Yeah, I sure hope your officers won’t try to arrest me this time,” I mumble darkly.

Inspector Hugh colours under his moustache and leaves the room, looking flustered. He should be! We’re having this entire discussion because of him!

“Cal, it’s dangerous,” Kayla whispers, sitting down on the chair.

“Do you honestly think I don’t know that, Kay? I know…and I know you won’t admit it but you’re spitting mad at me. You want me to say that we should just hop on the plane and head back to England…but I can’t! I want to…but I just simply cannot do that! Please, try to understand my position, babe,” I plead.

“There’s nothing to understand Cal! He tried to kill you! He wanted to torture you and hurt you…and now you want to go up to his room and just see if he’s okay? What if he’s awake, huh? What then? Will you guys trade childhood stories, perhaps stories about your father?” she screeches.

I flinch back at that…that was below the belt.

“I may have a messed up family and all, but at least I’m not the black sheep of mine! At least I’m my father’s pride!” I snarl.

Kayla stares at me disbelievingly for a few minutes as silent tears flow down her cheeks. “Is that how you see me? The black sheep of my family? A disgrace?!” she demands, hovering over me, her face set in a snarl.