6- Everybody's Brilliant

KAYLA:

I sat quietly at the dinner table, listening to accomplishments being traded out like baseball cards.

"Mummy, mummy, Ms. Reed said that she was very lucky to have me as her stoo-dent," Emma said proudly, her blond hair tied up in a high ponytail.

"That's good, dear," my mum said absentmindedly. "Have you told her that you want to be in the school play?"

"Yeap! She said I have to... erm... auction first."

Ivan and Sean guffawed, but mum merely pinched her lips tightly.

"Its audition, Emma. Remember that, audition."

Emma pinked.

"Yeah, Em, its no excuse for little kids to be allowed to get away with mistakes like that. You're a leader, and leaders don't make mistakes," my dad lectured, getting off his phone. Spooning up some soup, he continued. "Be a perfectionist, Emma. It's never to early to be one."

"Awh, come on, leave the kid alone!" Sean chimed, casting a quick glance at Emma who's little face was crumpled. "Anyway, guess who got a call from The Saint earlier today? I did, of course," Sean said smugly, popping a broccoli into his mouth. Swallowing, he opened his mouth again. "They want me to do a monthly financial-related article, and they're paying me, too."

"Brilliant, son. I told you getting shortlisted for the Vogel Literature Award was a good thing."

"Yeah, it sorta makes up for the disappointment of you not winning, don't you think?" 

Mum stated, looking at Sean. I shook my head slowly. Honestly, can't she, for once, actually be happy for someone, instead of lacing compliments with... you know, stuff like that?

"Anyway, well, Sean's not the only one getting important phone calls. Ladies and gentlemen, I have a very important announcement to make. Hold on to your seats," Ivan said dramatically, his eyes flashing. "You are looking at... an officially published writer! Bloomberg loved my book! They called this evening, and they agreed to actually, properly publish Andromeda! 10,000 copies!"

"No way!!!" Sean exclaimed. "Your Sci-Fi book? You're getting published?"

Ivan grinned happily, his cheeks flushed. Then, Sean gave him a high-5, clapping him on the back.

"Well done man! You deserve it, you do!"

For a while, the table was noisy, everybody congratulating Ivan, clapping him on the back. Then, all of a sudden, the dreaded question came up.

"So, how was your first day of school, Elle?" mum asked, turning her head towards me.

"Its Kayla, mum. Kayla," I sighed, playing with my chicken. "And I supposed it went okay."

Silence descended upon the table.

"So, did you meet any new friends?"

"No, not really, I guess."

Dad cleared his throat.

"Ell- Kayla honey, you have to come up of your shell more. I know I've been saying this over and over before, but networking is extremely important. And you need to start now. Talk to people, look at them in the eye. I know it might be harder to make new friends when... well, you're not... Anyway. You have to start making new friends, Elle!"

My cheeks felt hot. Not what? Smart? Talented? Pretty? Bubbly? Not like all your siblings, was that what you wanted to say? I screamed silently.