53- His Name Isn't Even Aiden

CAL:

“How are you feeling today Mr Cafferty?” the doctor asks, sitting on the edge of my bed.

“Alone,” I mutter darkly.

“Did your family just leave you here?” she asks, pouring over my chart.

“Leave me here?” I ask confusedly.

“Yeah. Wasn’t it your family that was here yesterday? Two brothers, two sisters?” she explains, shrugging.

“Oh. No! That wasn’t my family. That was my girlfriend and her family. They flew back to England yesterday,” I mumble.

“Oh…my bad. Where’s your family then?” she asks absent-mindedly.

“Across the pond,” I mutter glumly. “They wouldn’t bother coming down.”

“That’s awful!” she murmurs sympathetically.

“That’s my family,” I mumble, shrugging.

She smiles a small smile before turning to face me. “So, everything seems about fine, Mr Cafferty. You can be discharged right away,” she informs me.

“Seriously…wow…I was expecting a much longer wait,” I mumble, running a hand through my hair. Just one more day? I wish I hadn’t told Kayla to leave…we could have had another plane ride together. Now I’ll end up dying of boredom!

Oh…that’s right…Evan.

“Miss,” I call loudly at the doctor's retreating figure.

She turns towards me, eyebrows raised.

“My…brother is in the ICU upstairs. Could you maybe just find out if he’s okay?” I plead.