12- Barbra Streisand

KAYLA:

"... Yeah, and one day, she even wore differently coloured contacts to school!"

I almost chocked on the soda Cal had gotten for me. Ignoring my spluttering, he continued, a serious look on his face.

"I'm for real! You should have seen her face! It's bad enough that she yells at us so very often, but with her red and purple contacts on that day, everything was a bazillion times worst!!!"

I bent down, clutching my stomach. I haven't laughed this hard since... forever! Cal laughed too, but I suppose it was because of the way I looked right now. I probably looked a sight; a girl in blue jeans, clutching a bouquet of yellow roses, almost dying of laughter on the sidewalk.

"You know what, Cal," I said, when I finally stopped laughing. "You're not that bad, you know?"

Cal scrunched his nose.

"What't that supposed to mean?"

"Meh... Before I met you, I'd always thought that the popular kids were too... brilliant for their own good, but now I've met you, I realize that I've just had very bad luck before; jocks can be nice too!"

Cal looked at me strangely for a moment. Then, all of a sudden, he burst out laughing. I frowned.

"What's so funny this time?"

"You are! What, do you spend your evenings watching chick flicks? That line you used sounds so... cliche!" Cal wiped the tears from his eyes. "Before I met you, the world was a dark place. Now there's light all around..."

I huffed. To be honest, once he put it that way...

We rounded a corner and I suddenly stopped. Cal, who was still laughing, walked straight into me, almost pushing me over.

"Hey, what's the matter?"