The Marriage Test (Part III)

Začít od začátku

"If you want a wife with all my issues," she replied, letting out a soft chuckle.

"I see you more as a mystery I'm willing to spend the rest of my life solving."

Will groaned. "This is going to be my life now. Why don't you just leave me in Sherwood?"

"I do want to see it," Regina said, looking up at Robin. "Before we get married. I want to get to know your kingdom and your people the way you've gotten to know mine."

Happiness and pride filled Robin and he smiled, nodding. "Then we shall go to Sherwood."

*****

The carriage bounced around on the uneven dirt road and Regina bit back another groan. "I hate traveling like this. Everything would be so much easier if I could ride my own horse. Or better yet, use my magic."

Across from her, Henry chuckled. "I know, my dear. But this makes the council feel much better about your safety."

"My magic would be the safest," Regina replied. "And faster."

Henry chuckled again. "Eager to see Robin again?"

Regina nodded, glancing out the window. Robin had returned to Sherwood a few weeks prior to prepare for her visit. She missed him and his bright smile daily, but she missed him most of all at night. Maleficent had been right about saving that curse for her worst enemy. Regina hadn't slipped into a peaceful sleep but had gone to a room filled with fire. She felt its heat, trapped and unable to move for fear of being burnt. Now every night, she returned to that room and would toss and turn until she would awaken.

After a few nights of that torment, Regina had lain in bed and wished she could find some way to chase off the nightmares. Her bed had dipped as a weight had landed on it and she sat up to find a surprised Robin in her bed. His suggestive smile fell as he grew concerned, sitting up to cup her cheek. "What's wrong, love?"

Everything about her nightmares spilled out and he held her close, promising to stay with her the night. They fell asleep in each other's arms and for the first time, Regina did not dream about the room.

After that, Robin spent his remaining nights in Misthaven sleeping in her bed. Regina cherished the feeling of being in his arms and the knowledge of how much he cared for her. But once he had gone, her nightmares had returned and she longed for the safety his arms once more.

The carriage stopped and she frowned. "What's going on?"

"I don't know but I hope it's not bandits," Henry replied as Regina conjured a fireball as the door opened, ready to attack whoever dared mess with her.

Robin's smiling face appeared, blue eyes lit up as they laid eyes on her. "Peace, milady, we're not bandits."

"Robin!" Her fireball died down as she smiled at him. "What are you doing here?"

"I couldn't wait to see you, so I rode out to meet you." He held out his arms and she slid into them as he lifted her from the carriage. She wrapped her arms around his neck as he held her aloft, running her fingers through his hair as she pressed her forehead to his. "You're more beautiful than I remember."

She smiled as she rolled her eyes. "I forgot how much of a flatterer you are."

"You love it," he replied, setting her on her feet as he leaned down to kiss her. She melted into it, having forgotten the fire he could ignite within her.

Behind them, Henry cleared his throat and the two broke apart. Robin smiled at the older man, holding out his hand. "Your Highness," he greeted.

"It is good to see you, Robin," Henry replied, shaking the prince's hand. "Though you did startle us."