Exit God Out Book One: The Unexpected Terrestrial Chapter 48

Chapter 48

"Wake up lovebirds, are you enjoying the honeymoon suite? My name is Jackson and I'll be your personal slave for the day." Jackson laughed at Sean and Sarah crashed on opposite ends of the couch, receiving a good face licking from Annok. "It's 6am on March 31 and we don't want to miss the traditional camping trip do we?"

Laura brought in coffee for everyone. "It's not the typical honeymoon but it's a story to tell your kids one day."

"It's perfect," said Sarah, looking around the small antique house. "This place is adorable. I feel like I'm living in another era."

"We like the neighborhood. Everyone here has an old restored house. The place sits empty quite a bit and the neighbors watch over it for us. It's a real community."

"We'll leave you to get ready if you like, and Laura and I will be in the room packing. Not sure what to take, since I've never broken into a lab before and demanded to see my daughter." Jackson's voice was cracking. The pressure was moving in, defying him to stay grounded. Sean got up and gave him a hug. "Hey, we're with you. It'll work out, one way or another."

"What if she isn't ours?" said Jackson quietly to Sean as he took him over to the kitchen. "Laura has never thought of that. She believes the folder at the lab she saw was ours, but she never looked inside. Tomorrow may be a huge disaster. She could lose her job and a child. And what if she doesn't want to come with us? What if she's ours but we can't have her? What if this completely screws up her life?"

"It's possible," said Sean and he leaned into Jackson's ear. "Do me a favor. Think only positive thoughts. Seriously. Should the day turn out to be anything but amazing, then cry. But don't pay interest on a building you don't own yet."

"Gotcha. I've got to be strong. Get ready. I'll see you in a minute." Jackson went into the bedroom to pack.

The day was perfect as they drove through the sweet air. Spring came early to Colorado, and their traditional campsite was reserved and waiting for them. The wild flowers had sprung early to greet park visitors along the twisted gravel entrance. Annok jumped out of the truck first and surveyed the site, making sure no other animal would wander in without an invitation. Tents were pitched, coffee was brewed and finally, as the sun was headed behind the mountains, Sean and Jackson went to the bench to watch the sun set and preview the lab grounds.

"It still amazes me that we may have a child playing or doing something right there, right now," said Jackson. "Years ago, when I was upset at the straw I pulled, I had no idea it would lead to here. It's like a movie, only I'm in it. Everything is surreal, the dog, the child, Victor, Mash, the Sheriff and the CIA. It's all one big box office hit."

"Only it's real," said Sean "and you're the leading man. Most people complain about being bored and living a boring life, but not you. Your life is almost....charmed, at least most would think so. Definitely worth writing a book about one day. If it gets any more interesting I'll write the book and make the money. But that's what life is, is it not? We are born and from that moment we have no idea or control over where it leads us. We think we do, until we get hit on the head and question it. Extraordinary things happen to extraordinary people. I think you got lucky."

Jackson looked at Sean. "You don't believe in luck. You said that a few years ago. Luck is just a term used by those that don't have faith in ordinary miracles. You said that."

"I did!" said Sean. "I remember it as if it was yesterday. Funny, how the years in between a good sentence pass so quickly. And your life! You're a world famous speaker now that makes jewelry. How did that flip so easily? Are you taking the little girl with you?"