Exit God Out Book One: The Unexpected Terrestrial Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Maggie knocked on Janet's door early that following morning. She was wondering if Janet had seen Anna. She didn't return that evening, and Maggie had cried all night by the look of her ruby face and stained cheeks. Janet bounced out of bed and called Anna's cell phone, but there was no answer.

"She's gone," said Maggie.

"What are you talking about?" asked Janet. "She's probably slept in or got the day wrong. She'll be back. She has to, I'm leaving in an hour or so."

"She's not coming back," Maggie insisted, standing defiantly in her colorful coat with the long leather belt tied around the middle. "Call someone and tell them."

"Maggie it's okay. I'll call Amarr and see if he's heard anything. Have you eaten anything yet? I can make you something."

Maggie nodded, holding back the tears and trying to be brave. She followed Janet into the kitchen. The back of the lab was her home now; the white room became a sanctuary when she needed to be alone. Most of the time, Maggie poured through the small library, reading and drawing and learning as many languages as possible. Anna brought back one self-learning book each time she went to Boulder, and Maggie had absorbed over a dozen languages along with the odd dialects she spoke from birth, but it was a secret she and Anna kept from the others. Maggie was beginning to understand why.

Amarr arrived at the lab early, and was immediately on the phone to the police. He knew it was highly unusual for Anna to be one minute late, but to not show up was worthy of an investigation.

"Can you stay today Janet? At least until it's light out?" he asked, hoping she could change her plans, but her contract was not as binding as Anna's was, and she did not feel compelled to help out. The white room, the underground lab and the scope of the "project" were weighing on her. She grabbed her purse and small suitcase and left for her four days off.

"Are you going to be okay by yourself today for a while? You can go back to bed if you like," asked Amarr. Maggie nodded, refusing to look Amarr in the eye. Her face was still red and showing distress.

"She's not coming back," Maggie cried out. Amarr bent down and hugged the shaking child, stroking her long black hair and wiping her tears away. With two little boys of his own, he sympathized with her, and suggested that maybe Anna was just having too good a time and forgot. But his version of the truth did not satisfy the girl, and when he asked her why she thought something was wrong, Maggie replied, "Because I can feel it. I can feel when something is not right. And I'm never wrong."

"Now, now, such a big imagination for a tiny girl," Amarr said soothingly, trying to keep the child from getting hysterical as he was uncertain of her potential for the unusual. Amarr's memory constantly nagged him about Maggie's unusual DNA, but what it meant was yet to be discovered. "I'm concerned too but I don't feel Anna is hurt or has left us. You play quietly in the library and paint something. I'll come and check on you every hour or so. Can you do that for me Maggie?" The child bobbed her head up and down all the way back to the white room where she closed the door and disappeared into her own world. She knew Amarr was unable to understand her. She was alone in the physical world but surrounded and supported by many ethereal voices and guides counseling her and encouraging her to be brave.

She sat cross-legged on her bed, praying and communicating through the intricate dialect she first learned from I,Son. She locked the door, knowing that being caught speaking to other worlds would change everything. Nothing was more important to her now than following the design she was born to fulfill and seeing it to the end.

A strong instinct rolled in like a wave, and she followed it. Maggie quietly opened her door and walked down the long hallway, hiding behind chairs, tables and anything she could find. Amarr was in his office on the phone, slouching and rocking in a squeaky chair talking to the local police, organizing a time for later in the day for questioning. She knew she would have to hide and be quiet; she was reading Amarr's lips as he spoke. The possibility of being found could alter the path she so desperately needed to follow. She no longer had Anna for protection, and no one on the outside could find out she exists, with one exception. Maggie watched Amarr patiently, and when he got up and went into the back of the lab, she slipped through the big glass door and ran outside to the fence.