Exit God Out Book One: The Unexpected Terrestrial Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Wish I knew what draws me to this campsite every year Jackson pondered, looking out over the edgy mountains of Colorado as he stood high atop the bench. The April ritual was tradition, and when you belong to a group of old friends, tradition takes on family values: a place to reconnect and converse, where just for a few days, everyone had the same blood.

Jackson, Laura, Robert and Sean were the only participants for 2006. Eddie was missing, but busy working for his father, trying to absorb all he could and take control one day.

"You're one of the guys now Laura," Robert exclaimed. "Sorry you have to put up with the same old stuff year after year."

"Actually, each year you three get older and slower," she laughed. "You were crazier four years ago than you are now." The three guys looked at each other, wondering how that happened. Shortly though, after a few beers were downed, Laura was proven quite wrong.

The next morning, the three men sat together on the bench, their legs dangling over the edge that had eroded a foot or so since they're first visit, wondering if falling off would hurt less than their inflamed heads. The air was always the same, memorable, with a slight whiff of evergreens and spring grass. The dawn was just breaking, and they went quiet as they studied the front doors of the Boston Meyer lab. Jackson couldn't let it go, as if it had a noose around his neck when he was away, or that it played a part in his life beyond Laura's employment. As they sat waiting for Laura to call them for her special breakfast surprise, Sean caught the edge of the lab front doors open, and a little girl and what appeared to be a wolf, walked out. He grabbed Jackson by the arm. "Look!" The child took the dog to a section of the fence with a large opening, sent the animal through and up towards the campsite. The wolf charged along the field and when it got out of sight, Sean and the other two jumped up and ran back to the campsite.

"Laura, get into the truck, everyone, pile into the truck!" yelled Jackson as they ran through the camp, waking everyone up.

Laura dropped her breakfast creation and they all piled into Jackson's truck. Within minutes, the wolf pup was walking around it, whining and jumping up on the side.

"I don't think he's mean," said Laura, and she slowly opened the window and called the wanderer over. He jumped up and licked her hand, and she rolled the window down and began to roughhouse with him. They got out, apprehensively, and the animal greeted everyone with soft cries and attempts to be a lap dog.

"He's beautiful," she said. "Where did he come from? Someone here must be missing him."

"He came from your underground lab," said Jackson. "We watched it. A young girl walked him to the fence and let him go, and he came straight up here." Jackson paused for a moment, and then got up quickly "I'll be back. Save some breakfast for me," and he was off running.

"Where are you going?" called Sean, and he ran after Jackson.

"Stay here with me Robert. Let those two do whatever it is they're off to do. We can eat the lion's share before they return," and Laura went back to the tiny camp stove while the wolf sat beside her, unwilling to leave.

"I like that idea," and Robert pulled up a chair and got a fresh cup of black coffee. The awkward pup walked right into his lap, letting everyone know he was not leaving any time soon.

Sean struggled to keep up with Jackson. They went to the bench to get a better look at the young girl, and noticed she was at the front door, holding it open.

"I'm going down to see who she is, and where the hole in the fence is, because I can't see it anymore, and I know it was there. I want to know why she released the dog." Jackson bolted down the steep path to the valley floor. They got to the fence, and the little girl took a look, and closed the door behind her. Both men called out, but she did not respond.

"Find that hole in the fence. It's here somewhere. I'm going to squeeze through and go up to the lab. There must be an adult in there. I want to know what they intend to do with the dog." They walked up and down the long fence line several times until it was clear there were no holes anywhere. Jackson knew he saw the dog go through the fence, but where?

He clung to the fence, staring at the glass windows hoping to get a look at the child. Sean came up to him and leaned on the heavy metal bars.

"Trying to get a look at her?"

"Trying. I hate one-way glass."

Jackson turned to leave. "Wait!" shouted Sean. The little girl opened the door and stepped out, staring at the two men on the other side of the fence.

"She's beautiful," said Jackson. He stood motionless, transfixed, as if something refused to release him.

"You have good eyes. I can barely see her."

Jackson and Maggie stared at each other for thirty seconds, and Maggie went back in. After a few minutes of soaking in the event, they walked back to the campsite where Laura and Robert had finished most of the breakfast.

"Did you solve the mystery?" asked Laura. Robert was smiling in a way that suggested someone ran a long distance for nothing.

"We found this wrapped in his collar. You might want to read it." Robert handed the small battered paper over to Jackson. "His name is Annok. He is to live with my parents."

"Oh great, now we have to find the kid's parents. I'm having something to eat first and then we'll go from tent to tent asking is anyone is looking for this dog." Jackson grabbed a plate and threw the leftovers on it, noticing Annok was staring up at him. "I suppose you want some too?" he asked the lean creature, whose intense yellow eyes were appealing to him for sustenance. He saved a piece of bacon and sausage, and a spoonful of cold scrambled eggs. "It's your fault the eggs are cold. Don't blame me."

Jackson and Robert headed out with the pup attached to a belt. No one at the campsite knew of the dog or wanted it. Jackson secretly hoped this would happen. One look and the two were bonded, but why? Why did that little girl give you up? Are your parents around the campsite? I don't mind if we don't find them. We'll make good parents. They made it back with the dog still in tow, to a grinning Laura.

"You don't have a home do you?" She bent down to give Annok a good ear rub.

"Careful Laura, that dog almost licked your face," and Robert winced and moved away. "Dog people are so, so, ick," and he picked up the last of the plates and dropped them into the soapy water.

"Happy April first everyone," and Sean suggested they go for a walk before heading home. Annok attached himself to Jackson's side. I'll take him back to Bowen with me. He watched the dog match his footfall pattern and how he would look up for approval. There's more to this dog than I know. Why didn't you stay with the child? She seemed to be a nice little kid; a very unusually nice little kid I can't seem to forget. While the dog was not a human baby, it would do until the real thing came along. Jackson was overcome by a strange feeling it would be soon.