Exit God Out Book One: The Unexpected Terrestrial - Chapter 16

Chapter 16 April 1 2000

The University landscape was nowhere near the desolation of his last visit. It was almost April, trees whispered the promise of life and color, and everywhere spring was at the threshold of bursting through. Jackson walked into the campus and stopped in the same spot as always, and acknowledged the tiny new plantings desperate to take over from their flattened ancestors.

Robert kept watch out the window for Jackson, punishing himself for thinking how great it would be if Edward had missed the trip. He knew Eddie was the one that wrote the "Cryobank" paper for the traditional hat draw that Jackson pulled at Christmas in 1998. It felt as if Eddie was desperate to take power away from someone that year; to engage in a lifetime of macabre humor. Robert didn't want Eddie to upset Jackson about Diane's death either. All he could do was pray Eddie had a shred of decency within.

This was Jackson's first venture to Denver University since Diane passed. Would he be excited to see his old friends, or give in to the utter emptiness of grief and loss? Every second of the day he had a question for Diane, and every second he realized she could no longer answer back on the phone. The emptiness was not going away for some time yet, but he was hoping he could mask it for the week. He would be happy for just thirty seconds of relief.

Sean and Robert were in the dorm room when Eddie showed up. Dean was the only missing team member. Probably a girl, everyone thought. Sean kept spirits high, as Robert was terribly uncomfortable, trying to figure out how to deal with a friend that lost his Mother a year ago. None of the young men had experienced death at their age, other than the odd hamster.

Jackson walked into the room unannounced, and Sean and Robert ran over for a group hug. They put their heads into the middle and hung them low for a moment of silence, and Eddie surrounded them all with his long gangly arms. The tension was released, and the four embarked on an adventure they would never forget. They gathered their belongings and headed to Jackson's truck, and with careful planning and a lot of muscle, managed to pack in everything.

Sean sat up front as navigator and pulled a long grey feather from the visor. "Could this be a special feather? Looks rather exotic, possibly a swan or snow goose?"

"It's exotic all right. It belongs to Charlie." Jackson took the feather from Sean and gently put it back up into the visor.

"What are you keeping a seagull feather for?" asked Eddie.

"I had no idea my savior was going to show up in the form of a bird." Jackson just looked straight ahead and kept driving, showing no sign of humor. He was dead serious. Eddie just stared at him for a second, then looked ahead, trying to fit the puzzle together without asking any more questions. Robert was ready to strangle Eddie but realized the tall gawky kid may have that "shred of decency" he was praying for.

Traditional road trips were always unplanned and this one was no exception. As long as they were sitting on the bench overlooking the boundless valley below with a beer in their hand, life was just about perfect, otherwise, everything else was negotiable, even the food. Jackson's spirit began to lift as he meandered along roads lit by yellow sunlight and three good friends. He was laughing and joking, and even joined in when they tried to sing an Abba song. For a while, Jackson got his wish, to forget and get back to a life that has no plans or blueprint: a life where young men know no boundaries.

"I feel like something really good is going to happen this trip," Jackson said, out of nowhere, still looking straight ahead and very much in his own world. His heart continued to lighten as they reached Boulder. Maybe it was the green peeking through snow thought Sean. Maybe it was lack of food thought Robert. Maybe it was because Jackson was the only one that could carry a tune thought Eddie. Whatever it was, it was mystical. Magical. And in a very small way, a miracle.