Exit God Out Book One: The Unexpected Terrestrial Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Laura Curtis threw the small suitcase against the wall. "Nothing fits!" She tore apart her bedroom further in hopes of finding a suitable size that wouldn't wrinkle clothes. This interview was more than important. It was career changing. The money was life altering. Very few get selected and she was not going to screw it up over lack of a stupid suitcase.

She looked at the airline ticket one more time to make sure she was headed for Boston, not Britain. Paranoia was setting in, and she sat on the bed and promised herself she would not go there. Trust the process. If you're meant to do something why would it be sabotaged? I'll either get the job or not, and both outcomes are fine.

The first interview was Monday, and if she made it through, she would be back for Thursday's final interview. Then home, except for one small diversion. Jackson Brown Sparrow had a showing on the Wednesday, in perfect timing for her to see his new work and hopefully, Jackson again. She tried unsuccessfully to erase him from her memory, but nothing worked, even a self-imposed guilt trip. After all, it was her little sister Emily that would wind up like a top when Jackson came to town. Surely the big sister intervening in Emily's twisted love knot was not considered cool, but Emily seemed happy to nest with Daniel, her partner in crime at the protests. That took Emily out of the picture, Laura convinced herself. And she already had to lie about why she was headed to Boston. She may soon be working for the enemy, and should it come to pass, that was a conversation she was not looking forward to in the least. Besides, for once in her life she was following her heart and not her head. What was the worst that could happen? Nothing.

She went out and bought a suitable case for everything, except for the nerves and excitement that she couldn't escape. She would have to move from Denver and leave her family, but it was time. Getting far away as possible would be freeing, as good as an extended vacation, and the thought kept nagging her. She didn't want to run. She wanted to leave because she knew life starts the minute you leave your comfort zone.

The next day Laura waited in line at the airport, mulling over a thousand possibilities of what that new life would look and feel like. She was only in her mid 20's, but her career in genetics was about to explode in a way she could not imagine. Her mother's words came back to her "You can change your path, add and subtract, but the outcome is not yours to know. Don't be attached to results."

Laura landed without noticing the time it took to get to Boston. The turbulent ride was just a distraction from the drama inside her skin. Sleeping at the sterile hotel was almost impossible: the bed linens were rife of bleach. Somehow the next morning she got dressed, ate, got into a cab and walked into the head office of Boston Meyer with the self-confidence of a top Geneticist. After waiting several hours after the interview, a doctor came out and asked her back at 11am on Thursday. She walked into the brass-lined elevator, waited for a man to get off and when the doors closed, she squealed and danced as if no one was watching.

Wednesday came quick. Jackson's opening was at 6pm and she lined up with hundreds of people wanting to hear this young man speak. "He's very powerful you know," said an elderly gentleman in front of her. A conversation grew among the lineup, and everyone knew each other on a first name basis by the time they entered the room. Everyone seems to know this guy. What kind of man is followed around the US by loyal participants? Laura was able to squeeze into a spot at the front left side, hoping he would see her. She had no idea what would happen next. There was no plan in place. She may get a chance to speak to him or not.

The lights cast a supernatural feel to the stage. Jackson walked out to a standing crowd of cheering and clapping. He began to speak and the room went silent as all eyes were on this young native man whose journey was of keen interest to those that followed him. Laura began to listen and remember the last time she saw him. This talk was different somehow. Jackson had grown in wisdom, the kind one finds through tragedy. What happened to him? A little further along the story unfolded and her question was answered. She admired how he moved through the process of being better over bitter. As his talk proceeded, he began to move around the stage more, and as he walked over to the far right, he caught Laura's eyes. For a moment, this eloquent man stopped and stuttered, apologizing to the crowd, and watched her and smiled as he kept speaking. A few people turned to see the person that could capture the attention of this relatively famous man. The older gentleman from the lineup gave her an elbow in the side and a quick smile and wink. Jackson moved to the other side, and as Laura watched his face, it suddenly turned to fear.

He continued to speak, but even the crowd picked it up. He struggled for only a moment, while processing the face hiding behind the crowd. He couldn't botch this tour; it was vital to his career to finish successfully. His sponsor was one of the largest and most prominent in New York and Boston, and nothing was going to step in the way. He knew this face from the past, under unpleasant circumstances. His memory kicked in to Mash, the interrogator from the day Victor's house was seized. Laura could see the panic Jackson was attempting to hide. She looked around to see who or what caused such alarm, but nothing was made obvious. Jackson fooled the audience but didn't fool Laura, and as he made his way back to the right side of the stage, he gave her a look that sent her flying out of the room. Something in his eyes told her to get out immediately and disappear. She didn't want to leave but she didn't fight it. She went back to her room and stayed there for the rest of the night.

Jackson finished the talk to a standing ovation and walked straight off the stage among the crowd for the first time. He was not going to be intimidated by anyone, and was safer among people that supported him. He looked for Mash but was unsuccessful. Jackson could feel another plain clothes officer follow him and he shook his head in amazement at how obvious these people were. He walked over to speak with a lovely couple that had purchased a number of his more valuable works, when Mash came up behind them. Jackson excused himself for a moment as the two men caught eyes, and he chased the man as he turned to leave the building. He grabbed him from the back and Mash turned to face Jackson.

"You're CIA aren't you? Your name is Mash," asked Jackson in a low but imposing voice. The man said nothing. He looked at Jackson with cold amber eyes that cut through Jackson's composure, then turned and walked away. Jackson went back to continue his talk with the couple and collected himself for the rest of the evening, knowing full well his life was no longer free.

April K. Reeves, Author. Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved. Visit us on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/April-K-Reeves/390530011143987?fref=ts or our website: https://aprilkreevesauthor.wordpress.com/