Exit God Out Book One: The Unexpected Terrestrial Chapter 40

Chapter 40

"What was his name again?" asked the Sheriff as he reluctantly hung up his overcoat. The Boulder office was cold that morning and he hesitated taking it off.

"Kent, sir. Says he's CIA. He's in Boulder and should be here by 8am."

"Thanks Delores." Sheriff Angus turned to walk into his office as the door opened and a strange man entered.

"Good morning. You must be Delores," and he looked over to the Sheriff. "You must be Sheriff Angus."

"And you must be Kent. Call me Angus if you want. You're early." Angus motioned Kent to his office.

Kent closed the door behind him and started to pace. Both men were curious about each other. Both men had knowledge the other needed. The dance for power was about to begin.

"You're here because of a missing person?" asked Angus. "Seems rather odd for the CIA to show up in a small town and inquire about someone of little significance."

"Odd things happen everywhere Angus. Do you not find this unusual, or is that the way small towns deal with missing people?" Kent laid it on heavy, trying to unravel the Sheriff, but Angus was no fool. His broken accent was the price he paid for a career in one of the worst crime areas of New York, and his current position was in no way a step down.

"There are some things that don't add up." Angus looked into Kent's eyes, studying the man for clues. "What is it you're really here for Kent?"

"Are you aware Anna had a daughter?"

"Yes of course. We've done a great deal of due diligence to find her but with no luck I'm afraid."

"Did you go into the lab she worked at? The underground Boston Meyer lab?"

"Yes, and I went through every square inch of it but there was no trace of a child living there or having been there. This office has never received the report back from the CIA as to the results of the mother's car. Did you ever find it?"

Kent stopped and looked straight at Angus. "No. We can only assume someone got to it before we did."

"And how do you come to that conclusion Kent? How could someone pull a vehicle from a sixty-foot slope of dense trees, clean up all the pieces of metal and lens covers that surely left a good trail, and then disappear with a vehicle and a dead person in under two hours? Excuse my ignorance, but your organization was there much too quick to consider it a lucky find. You must have known this was going to happen."

"And you're saying..." pushed Kent.

"That you knew this was going to happen."

Kent shuffled, knowing he put himself in a very uncomfortable place. "We were flying by. Our pilot caught the accident. We did not cause it."

"And you stand here and tell me you didn't see anything? You're hiding something, and that's fine. Who isn't? But either we work on this together or we come to some agreement on who will lead this case, because the CIA does not just fly whimsically around Boulder day after day catching speeders," and Angus stood, tall and determined, waving his hands in the air as he spoke.

"The case belongs to us."

"I was hoping you would say that Kent. Which brings me to one other thing: the child. Why is the CIA so interested in a little girl? Yes, she's missing as well, but a missing person's case belongs to me. The CIA has little to no interest in such cases unless there's a very strong reason you're not willing to divulge. I've been in your shoes, didn't like it very much because I wasn't good at lying. But you can't waltz into my office and think I'll just accept what you have to say."

"You're going to have to Angus, because this case is sensitive and we need you out of the way." Kent walked up to the desk and leaned on it, trying to intimidate the local Sheriff.

Angus backed off, realizing he would never be able to squeeze details of the lights that came to Earth that day. "Fine. Fine. It's yours. Take it. I prefer to clean streets anyway."

Kent turned and left without saying goodbye. Angus sat in his office for a minute, reeling over the difficult conversation. Much was exposed that shouldn't have been, and much was left out that should have been said. A typical case Angus thought. But he had no intention of letting it go. There was one gigantic puzzle piece missing, and he was going to find out what it was. You can take the cop out of New York, but you can't take New York out of the cop. I will find this link. It will be my discovery.

Angus walked out to where Delores sat typing and sipping cold coffee. He looked around the office to collect his thoughts. "Delores, do you remember the big light that came down on the Boston Meyer lab on April 1st of 2000?"

"I do. Who can forget it? You don't see the aurora borealis every day."

"Is that what people are saying" Angus queried, slightly shocked.

"Yes, many are saying that. No one got photos, which was unfortunate."

"Delores, do you think there is a connection to the light and the mother and child?"

Delores looked down and wrinkled her nose. "Why would you connect that?"

"Because the missing child's birth certificate is from Boulder on the same day the light appeared. Then the mother is missing, plus her car, and no one has any idea where it disappeared. The CIA knows only the mother was in the vehicle, because they wouldn't be searching for the child if they didn't know this. Lights, child, disappearances, CIA involvement: something doesn't add up."

Delores nodded, soaking the information. She looked up at Angus over her glasses, with a stern pout and wrinkled brow. "That is odd. Maybe an alien abducted the car," and she went back to her typing as if she had just handed Angus the biggest clue of his life.

April K. Reeves, Author. Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved. Visit us on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/April-K-Reeves/390530011143987?fref=ts or our website: https://aprilkreevesauthor.wordpress.com/