Exit God Out Book One: The Unexpected Terrestrial - Chapter 7

Chapter 7 December 1998

William Meyer and Basil Goldstein were exceedingly out of their comfort zone as they walked around a vast meadow that flowed to the base of tall mountains, their feet crushing fading wild flowers not yet hidden by unusually late snowfalls, and failing to take in the immense beauty of the fading light bouncing along the landscape. Theirs was a different agenda. Basil struggled to find a comfortable landing for his cane, but Meyer marched through the gentle fauna, refusing to give nature a second glance.

Basil began to question William. His voice was jagged, eerily matching his physical presence. He had known Meyer since they were very young, and both went all the way through University until Meyer founded Boston Meyer Pharmaceuticals and Goldstein failed at many private businesses.

"This is the land you bought? Why the hell would you build a lab here? It's in the middle of the bush for heavens sake..."

"Were you not listening to me?" Meyer retaliated. His patience was short with people who did not have the capacity to memorize every detail of his lectures. He explained to Basil in the car on the drive there, how he envisioned the lab built into the side of the mountain. Privacy was of utmost importance, as he did not want the visual exposure to attract extremists. He was able to sell the idea to the Regional District as a way to play down the impact on the environment, and that the lab was going to contain solar and energy efficient equipment and codes. "A sort of earth-friendly style of building, a model for business ventures," he argued to the environmentally friendly Council and Mayor. They even bought into the idea of a chain link fence around the perimeter of the land, sold to them with the explanation that the fence was for the protection of visitors, animals and a small but popular camping site that overlooked the property high up on a bench. It was one of his toughest sales jobs, as the people who entertained Meyers bold ideas had integrity, and could not be bought. As usual, Meyer got his way.

"When do you plan to get all this done Bill?" questioned Basil.

"As soon as possible. It's important that it's done and finished no later than the end of 1999. I will spare no expenses on this one Basil. My most important work will take place here. Work that will change the way people have been thinking for centuries."

"For centuries? That's a tall order don't you think? If you don't mind me asking, what, exactly, is the purpose of this building?" Basil landed his cane firmly and stopped walking, looking at Meyer with consternation. The two men had known each other most of their lives, and for the first time Basil could not predict the words he was about to hear from his closest ally. Meyer stood up straight, his grey sagging skin sucked up tight against his face in determination as he stared coldly over the pristine landscape. He had been holding this in from the world, and he could stay vigilant no longer.

"For years I've watched profits fall as those self-proclaimed spiritualists preach their self healing jargon to just about any sucker who will listen. And that prissy little blonde whose rich daddy keeps throwing her money so she can justify her lack of work ethic to come pursue me all the time. Religion, spiritualists, New Ager's, Hippies, you remember them Basil? They're all the same," and his bitterness grew deeper with each breath. "They coerce the masses to leave the science and drugs behind in search of a better way, only to find some fat guru willing to take their money so they can walk better for a day," and he eyed Basil's cane. "Well its bullshit Basil. It's all bullshit. There's no God, there's no higher form, no soul. Just trees and dirt and death at the end of the road." He kicked up a delicate clump of lichen.

Basil gently entered the conversation. "So...you're going to do what here?" His mind was racing: is it a gun factory? Some deadly new drug? For the first time in his life, Basil went blank.

"Prove them all wrong, Basil. Prove them all wrong. You know, if you had never heard of God, you would never know about God. You would never see the need for one. Everyone is born an atheist. Organizations, churches, religion, individuals, they've all amassed fortunes getting people hooked early in life. Religion was the best marketing scheme ever invented. Suck money from people and claim you'll protect them from a devil? And they fall for it!"

"And so you're going to create a drug to get people off this delusion?"

"No Basil, I need solid proof, I need to show the real thing, a person born with no exposure to any God stuff. Someone who has never heard of Bibles and crosses or archetypes and angels."

"Where are you going to find someone like that?"

Meyer stood in silence as he chose his words carefully. Although Basil was the only person he could speak to candidly, Meyer knew this would be a stretch.

"I'm going to create one."

There was no conversation on the walk back to the car. At Basil's age he thought he had heard everything. He thought he was immune to shock. And he thought he knew his friend. He stumbled at every stride, his cane shaking and wobbling as he tried to avoid the deeper parts of the new snow. Meyer helped him into the car, and when both men were seated, Meyer took on that face of determination again. He spoke quietly and defiantly. Basil looked straight ahead, desperately seeking a vision as to what Meyer's plan was going to look like, but mostly, frightened of it.

"Spirituality and Religion prove nothing. If God and religion never existed on this planet, good people would always be good and bad people would always be bad, just like it is anyhow. Why keep committing sins and pay a church to help you release them? At least I fix people so they can get back to work and live their lives. Think of the loss of productivity Basil, when people take time for spiritual retreats and seminars. This country was built on hard work. There's no work ethic anymore. All this hippie garbage is killing the planet."

The two men drove the rest of the way home in silence.

April K. Reeves, Author. Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved. Visit us on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/April-K-Reeves/390530011143987?fref=ts or our website: https://aprilkreevesauthor.wordpress.com/