Exit God Out Book One: The Unexpected Terrestrial Chapter 26

Chapter 26

April 1, 2001 was descending upon the lab faster than the Colorado wildflowers could grow. Edith suggested to Meyer they fly together to Boulder. It was Maggie's first birthday party and she wanted to stay and help. Meyer thought that was odd, since the entire cake and decorations would have to be white, and questioned why Edith suddenly liked children, but Edith held her ground and assured Meyer they would not be getting one of their own and so they boarded a plane and headed to Denver Colorado.

Anna and Janet had been working closely with Dr. Rosenthal, trying to explore the talents Maggie had, or at least that's what the two young women believed. Dr. Rosenthal continued to take notes, language tapes and most of her drawings back to Professor Sparks, who also hid behind a lie that no one else was privy to them. Sparks was beginning to ask for more lenience and pressed to see the child again, but the doctor was good at deception. She walked a very fine line, working in secret with Sparks without Meyer's knowledge or approval, and scheming away to set up Anna and Janet to take the blame should Meyer find out. It weighed on her conscience but her reputation was of utmost importance and she was going to be at the head of this discovery the day it was made public.

Maggie's penmanship and drawing skills were becoming more accurate and faster than any child Dr. Rosenthal could research. She and Sparks had intense conversations about the child, but Sparks was clever not to go too far or appear he didn't keep his promise. He had Kent on his other side, pulling as much information as possible from him and foolishly believing Kent kept the child's information to himself.

Edith arrived at the lab and walked straight into Maggie's room. The little girl turned and ran up to her, throwing her arms around Edith's legs and babbling half English and half something else until the word "Edith" came out. Everyone turned around when Maggie spoke her first name. Janet and the doctor were excited to hear it, but Anna was sad that Maggie's first name was not 'Anna'. Maggie had never said any names up to that point, or the word "mom'. There were times when Anna thought no one even noticed she was there.

Edith, Janet and Anna were playing with Maggie when Meyer walked in for the first time. Maggie turned, held out her arms and squealed, "Meyer," and toddled up to grab him around his leg. The room went silent.

"Have you been here before William?" asked Edith. "You never said anything about it."

"I've never been here. I've never seen this child before." William Meyer was taken by surprise. "Has anyone showed her my picture?"

Dr. Rosenthal was quick to take the bait. "Yes William, we have been showing her your photo. We thought we'd start early to make sure she knew about Boston Meyer and the owner. She appears to have a pretty good memory for faces," and Janet and Anna sighed in relief at Meyer's acceptance of the lie.

"Well don't get her too familiar with the lab," he demanded. "We don't want her thinking we're holding her captive." He looked down at the tiny girl staring up at him. "Interesting eyes on the kid: are they going to stay that color?"

"Yes they will," replied the doctor. "She's quite a striking little tot."

"I suppose she is. Well, carry on then. Let me know how it goes," and Meyer shook Maggie off his leg aggressively and left. The second he closed the door on the other side, William rolled up his pant leg and looked at the marks Maggie had left on his leg. He had nothing to base his impression on, but he felt the child might have more strength than babies normally have, and he kept the information to himself. Inside the white room, Janet, Anna and the doctor glanced at each other in query of what just happened and how it could have happened. That was going to be a conversation the next day that none of them wanted to have.