Exit God Out Book One: The Unexpected Terrestrial Chapter 42

Chapter 42

"Why would you want to transfer to the underground lab in the middle of nowhere, when you can stay here in Boulder where it's close to stores and things to do?" asked Sandra, one of Laura's Boston Meyer colleagues. She and Laura had been working closely the last few months, and Sandra had many stories locked inside that she was itching to tell even though she knew it was unethical. "That lab is haunted. A girl died there you know."

Laura's heart began to beat through her chest "When did she die?"

"I think it was late April sometime. It was kept very secret. Even the FBI was spotted around the local Sheriff office. Someone said they saw unmarked FBI helicopters for about a month before her disappearance."

"Did she die in the lab?"

"No, she only worked there. She was driving; they found the tracks of her car. She headed straight down a steep slope covered in tall fir and spruce trees, and her tracks went through the bush and trees perfectly, but supposedly no one found her or her car. Now that's just weird if you ask me. They make movies about that sort of thing. Can't believe you didn't read about it."

"That is odd," said Laura. How did I miss that one? She thought of a strategy to extract information without losing Sandra's confidence. "Poor girl, what was her name?"

"Anna. And they say she had a kid. A little girl, which of course, no one can find."

"There's a little girl? How old was she?"

"Let's see, she was born the day the lights came down, remember that? Everyone thinks it was the Aurora Borealis, and some think it was some alien magic. People are so funny. Aliens!" Sandra laughed and scoffed some more about people believing in such foolish notions. She rambled on for a few minutes of how conspiracy theories were clogging people's minds with junk, and how no one could live on any of the planets that exist in our solar system.

Laura had enough time to tune Sandra out and connect the dots. "So that would make this little girl almost seven then."

"Sure, that sounds right. Why? Do you know a kid that age with no mother?"

"No, but if I see one, I'll know what to look for," and Laura excused herself and headed for the washroom. She locked herself in a stall and tried to clear her mind of Sandra's negativity. She knew she had to listen to her intuition that was screaming to stay focused. She remembered how Jackson had told her he thought the little girl lived in the lab, but found it confusing that they both found no trace of a child there other than a used crayon and some very powerful and deep stirrings. She had barely an hour left at work, and went back to her chair and cleaned up her work for the day. Jackson was picking her up and they were headed to one of their favorite restaurants in Boulder and catch a bit of the spring carnival and festivities.

Sandra walked by. "See you Monday Laura. Nice to have Friday off. Have fun. Are you staying at the Boston Meyer house?"

"No, I didn't think about it. Where is that house anyway?"

"Fifth and Twenty Seventh on the south corner. It's nice, has a big driveway and you can sit out on the front deck in the summer. We've had a few parties there. You'll see it one day."

"Right, I remember now. See you Monday." Laura raced out of the office and down the staircase, bolting through the lobby doors and into the truck.

"What's happening?" Jackson was a bit shocked at her enthusiasm to get out of the office until he realized her eagerness had serious overtones.

"So, listen to this!" Laura began to explain the conversation between her and Sandra. Jackson listened, soaking the information and feeling closer to uncovering the mystery of the little girl and the past events of the last seven years. They both agreed that they needed to know if the girl was theirs, and at least end the mystery and agony they both felt. But they weren't going to get it from Amarr. Not with his permission.

"What if we went to the lab tomorrow unannounced?" asked Laura.

"I thought the same. And if we don't come up with anything, or that file is gone off the desk, we can sit up on the bench and watch to see if the girl comes out. Surely she has to leave the lab sometime."

"You mean sit in the truck and watch? It's cold outside."

Jackson laughed. "It is a dumb idea. Besides, the gates will be closed and the roads won't be ploughed. But," and he hesitated, knowing Laura did not bring any winter hiking clothes "we could walk around the place and look for footprints?" He looked at Laura. Her face clearly said no.

They rolled into Boulder and snagged the best parking spot in town. The center was packed with people in ski clothes and carrying shopping bags. It was an exciting place to see, and with spring skiing season in full bloom, a whole new set of boarders and snow enthusiasts emerged, hoping for that pre-season tan. Jackson and Laura headed to their favorite restaurant, hoping their table was reserved. They turned toward the big wooden doors, winding their way through the thick crowd. Jackson bent down to pick up a glove a lady dropped while walking. He ran up ahead and handed it to her, and as he turned to go back to where Laura was standing, he recognized a face in the crowd. A face he had no intention of ever seeing again.

He grabbed Laura. "Quick," he said, and he rushed her into the restaurant, and looked out the tall narrow window in the entryway.

"What is it?"

"It's him. Mash. The FBI guy from Bowen Island that stripped Victor's house and interrogated me. What is he doing here?" Jackson kept watch and saw two other FBI plain-clothes agents with him.

"Table for two?" asked the Hostess.

"We have a reservation for Brown," said Laura, and the hostess walked them to their favorite seats. Jackson took the chair with the best angle for watching people come and go. They both carefully folded and tucked their long hair into the collars of their jackets. Just in case they happen to show up. Jackson waved to a familiar waitress. "Good to see you both, it must be cold out there." She took their order and hustled to the kitchen. Jackson started rehashing the details the night Victor disappeared, and how he continues to show up in the most unusual places, when Mash and the two FBI agents entered.

"Think about daisies," said Jackson. "Nothing else. Just focus on daisies."

"What?"

"Just do it!"

"They're here aren't they?" Laura looked at Jackson as he slowly lifted the desert menu to his face. She casually turned and noticed the face of one of the agents. "That is the ugliest man," she said. "His skull is malformed. I've never seen anything like it."

"Daisies Laura," and eventually the three men turned and left. Jackson put down the menu.

"They're not here for us. They're looking for someone. I wonder if Victor is in the area?" said Jackson, leaning back so the waitress could put their plates down.

"Victor might be looking for us," said Laura. "But why? There's a connection between Victor and you, and I'm beginning to think it's because of the little girl. I just don't know why. I can't connect the dots."

They arranged their napkins.

"Why the daisies?"

"My mom use to say, if you want to attract others, think the same thoughts. I don't want to attract those men, so daisies seemed appropriate."

"I would have liked you mom. She raised a great son."

Jackson paused. "I think we'll find out soon why Victor is elusive, and what connection he has to these people." He began to dig into the meal in front of him, staring into the distance and going to that space Laura had witnessed many times: the private world of Jackson Brown Sparrow that would emerge with wisdom and insight, in his own time.

April K. Reeves, Author. Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved. Visit us on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/April-K-Reeves/390530011143987?fref=ts or our website: https://aprilkreevesauthor.wordpress.com/