Exit God Out Book One: The Unexpected Terrestrial - Chapter 13

Chapter 13 December 1998 - March 1999

There was little for Jackson to be thankful for. He met his father and they traveled north to the reserve where Diane would rest permanently. He reunited with his grandmother, his close family, his extended family, their dogs, pets, and none of it made any difference. He was numb. Not like the numb you feel when you sprain a finger. This numb was frightening. There was no telling how long it would last. There were no drugs for it. He was simply, blank.

Jackson had lost his mother and best friend. He almost lost a loyal pet, tough old seabird Charlie. He lost a neighbor that he never realized was special. After all he and Victor had been through, Jackson still admired him. Why, he couldn't say, especially after the house seizure and interrogation. But deep within his interior wisdom he knew it was a story that was yet to unfold.

He could not find Ahote. He asked around but no one had heard of him. They were all glad Charlie was alive however. Ahote's visit locked onto Jackson's memory for a long time, as did Victor's questionable past. Charlie improved quickly, and was flying within days. Jackson was thankful for his friend's return. It was a familiar face, beak and all.

Christmas of '98 passed uneventfully, and in March of 1999, after a long winter of hibernating from life, the telephone rang.

"Jackson! It's Sean! How are you buddy? Hey, you're camping this year right? It's supposed to be nice this April."

"I'm not sure what I'm doing this year Sean." Jackson's voice was not his usual: it was always him that called everyone else to rally the campsite adventures. It was usually Jackson's truck that took everyone to the campsite. Sean continued with some highly convincing arguments for going, but Jackson planted his feet and would not move, promising Sean he would go next year. After speaking with Sean, Jackson went back down to the basement where his workshop offered solace.

A new set of pendants and jewelry pieces had emerged: a theme he was not previously interested in exploring, but the seagull made a rather lovely debut in silver. Their story was romantic as well: they lived not on land or sea, but in the middle, on the shore. Jackson created a whole aura around the bird, put it all together and realized he had spent far too long creating in his sanctuary and felt the need for some air. Lots of it.

Jackson was still thinking about his call with Sean days prior when the phone rang. He picked it up with a bit of cheer in his voice "Hello Jackson Brown Sparrow speaking," and he waited patiently for the voice of someone wanting an interview, or maybe more sales?

"Jackson? It's Sean."

"Sean! It's you again. Been what, a week if that?"

"Eight days actually. Are you around in the next hour or so?"

"Why?"

"I'm on the ferry. Got no idea how long a ride it is or how far away you live but I'm just boarding from Horseshoe Bay right now. Mind if I hang out for a bit?"

"No way!" Jackson was excited. Finally, in perfect timing a friend shows up on his side of the border. His mind raced at what they would do, which trails to hike, what places to eat at. "It's easy to find my house and the ferry is only twenty minutes," and Jackson described a shortcut just off the ferry past the business section of town where he could meet Sean.

Jackson made numerous plans over the next twenty minutes. He cleaned up a little and put his work away. Thank you for Sean. He knew he needed to clear his head after a very long period of hiding. Sean was the perfect candidate to hang out with, even if the visit was short. Jackson was ready to speak, and he would not hold back once he got going. They only had five days together, but he was determined to pack every event of the last several months into the conversations.