Exit God Out Book One: The Unexpected Terrestrial Chapter 27

Chapter 27

"This is incredible, I know you're getting tired of me saying that but this child, if she's real, is not just unique but unexpected," said Professor Sparks as he stopped the tape of Maggie speaking. He enjoyed his visits with Dr. Rosenthal: each time she showed up with rolls of drawings under her arms and several tapes of Maggie's many languages, he would react as if it were news.

"She's real," said Dr. Rosenthal. "One day you may get the chance to meet her." Sparks looked over to the doctor to see if he was beginning to crack her protective cover.

A dedicated filing cabinet housed every piece of information the doctor had been leaving behind. This day though, Sparks had laid everything on the table, and they poured over the languages and drawings, looking for the one missing link that would bring sense to the child's world. It was the puzzle piece that would make both of them famous, at least that's what Sparks hoped for. What he didn't know was the truth behind the child.

"We now know there are around fourteen complete languages, twelve of which are spoken here on Earth at this current time. They could have come from the mother teaching her, but two are unique. I've not heard them used before. I'm able to decipher some of the words but it's complex and highly evolved.

"It's unlikely the mother taught her any languages as she has no education," Dr. Rosenthal looked down, choosing her words carefully. "She cleans houses."

"She had to learn them from someone, somewhere. Children can learn languages very quickly if they're exposed to them at an early age. Everyone has a predisposition to something unique. But you're telling me something quite different." Sparks waited for Dr. Rosenthal to release the information he was looking for. It was the first time he knew there was more to this story than what the doctor divulged, and was probably keeping it secret so she could take the glory in discovering the girl.

"It's possible the mother does know these languages and won't tell me," said Rosenthal. She had just dropped herself in a hot pot and knew it. Sparks could feel her apprehension and chose to end the intense but short conversation. Sparks pushed her out the door early to make room for Kent's arrival. Sparks and the doctor shook hands and made a later date, and barely an hour later, Kent arrived with a large brief case.

The two men stared at the table covered in papers. Kent listened as Sparks attempted to explain his recent findings in hope they could collectively find the missing link.

"Apparently the child has taken up sitting cross legged for hours and going into some form of trance," and Sparks showed Kent the photos the doctor had taken. "My biggest question is why the mother has this child locked in a white room, as you can see from the photos, and what are the implications to the child's development because of this?"

Kent leaned back in his chair, tapping a pen against the table. "I'll tell you what I found, but you have to promise me this goes no further than you and I. Not a word to the doctor."

Sparks nodded in approval, grabbing a chair and preparing himself for what he hoped was information that would link the "why" of Maggie's behavior.

"First off, don't believe a word the doctor tells you that this child has never been outside. From the beginning I was suspicious of that. Think about it Sparks, how could this child know about trees and grass and animals and languages after being locked up in a white room? The mother has to be educating the child. No doubt she has her locked up, but use your head. This doctor is not being honest with you, or she knows the mother is lying."

"I'm not sure what to believe anymore," replied Sparks. "I have known Dr. Rosenthal for years and the amount of research she puts into her work. She is well respected in many fields, and has no motive to lie."